liner/flue extender

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian89gp

Minister of Fire
Mar 15, 2008
Kansas City
I have a 6" SS insulated liner, will I have creosote buildup problems if I put a 18" tall metal flue extender on top of the chimney? Being uninsulated and directly exposed to air makes me curious.

And if it is a flue fire hazard, is it that big of a deal being only the top 18"?

Why does it need to be extended? Do you have drafting issues?
What exactly do you mean by a metal flu extender? Is this a masonry chimney? If it is, you are going to have to add a section of Class A to be code compliant. That won't be any different than any other Class A chimney at that point. To do it, you will also have to add an adapter plate, & connect the liner to that plate. The adapter will have to be anchored to your existing masonry, & then the Class A mounted on the plate. Add a cap & you're done. As long as your wood is dry, you should be good to go...

This one:
http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rockford.php?p=FlueExtender
Attaching to one of these:
http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/chase-covers.php

The reason:

I am in the process of re-topping a masonry chimney. I took it down below roofline and am building it back up and it is going a lot slower then I would like, and there is bad weather coming in followed by freezing weather. By using an extender means I can make the masonry chimney 18" shorter which is about a days worth of work for me.

There is no great way of doing this w/out building up that chimney appropriately. Since you are working on this chimney anyway, it simply should be done right now so you aren't kicking yourself later.

pen

This one:
http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rockford.php?p=FlueExtender
Attaching to one of these:
http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/chase-covers.php

The reason:

I am in the process of re-topping a masonry chimney. I took it down below roofline and am building it back up and it is going a lot slower then I would like, and there is bad weather coming in followed by freezing weather. By using an extender means I can make the masonry chimney 18" shorter which is about a days worth of work for me.

That will work fine for a temporary solution

Found an top plate adapter to convert between flex SS liner to class A pipe, it slips into the inside of the flex liner and attaches with screws then the class A side has the twist lock that goes on top. The masonry chimney with 38' of SS flex will be up to the roof ridge then the class A pipe will extend the remaining 2'.

The ridge of the roof is 50' off of the ground with good 12/12 roof slope, if I can save a day (2' of brick) I will.

Found an top plate adapter to convert between flex SS liner to class A pipe, it slips into the inside of the flex liner and attaches with screws then the class A side has the twist lock that goes on top. The masonry chimney with 38' of SS flex will be up to the roof ridge then the class A pipe will extend the remaining 2'.

The ridge of the roof is 50' off of the ground with good 12/12 roof slope, if I can save a day (2' of brick) I will.

That's the correct way to go, if you're not gonna brick to the top.

Got a link? I've looked and not been able to find that.

Thanks Dak, that looks pretty slick. Doesn't look as though one can purchase through that site though.

pen

No, but there are hearth shops that carry them, at least up here in the Vampire state. They can be used for thru the roof extensions on masonry chimneys, too. That's where I started using them...

If this is the product, I don't see there being a way to connect the single wall to it.
metalbestos-anchorplate.jpg

If this is the product, I don't see there being a way to connect the single wall to it.
metalbestos-anchorplate.jpg

There's a corrugated extension that comes off the bottom of the plate & that fits inside the SS liner. The liner is secured with to that extension using "Zip" screws...I think you can see it better in the EXCEL version...

There's a corrugated extension that comes off the bottom of the plate & that fits inside the SS liner. The liner is secured with to that extension using "Zip" screws...I think you can see it better in the EXCEL version...

Got it, I was expecting a band clamp.

Thanks

Thats what the Rockford guy said, there is an extension on the bottom that will be a snug fit to the inside of the flex liner and to attach the two together with screws.

If I had only known about this product before I would have terminated the masonry chimney in my attic into one of these and then straight class A through the roof.

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.