Liner Install - each case is different

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

80s Burnout

Oct 2, 2008
South Shore - Boston
I know this topic is covered repeatedly here, but since each case is a bit different I thought I'd spec out my scenario and seek your advice.

I now have a Jotul Oslo wood stove which I want to install into an existing center / internal chimney. The run from the top of the fireplace to the top of the chimney is about 25 feet. The chimney is mostly clay-lined pipe that is 6.5" x 12". The upper ~20 feet of the chimney is a straight run. The bottom 5 feet, from top of fireplace to where straight run starts is angled. So, from the top of the fireplace there is a ~5 foot run up to the left. From there is the ~20 foot staight run up - which is lined with clay. I am definately going to line the chimney. The question of course is how and with what? In terms of usage, I plan to burn close to 24/7 to heat my home. I have oil which I will use on a limited basis, like when we are away or on the coldest nights.

Based on the reading and research I have done, it seems like I could do each of the following:

1. 6" x 25' flex liner kit

Questions on this option
- Which of flex liner? Seems like stainless 316ti is what people are using. My dumb question is...is that single walled? Is single walled what I can use? When is double walled needed?
- Flex liner may be easier to install but is it harder to maintain and clean?
- Is it as strong, durable etc. as straight liner?
- other considerations?

2. 6" x 20' straight liner with 6" x 5' flex liner for angled section.

Questions under this option
- is it OK to combine flex with rigid?
- is rigid easier to clean?
- is rigid cheaper than flex?
- other considerations

These are my initial questions. Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,
Burnout

80s Burnout said:
Questions under this option
- is it OK to combine flex with rigid?
- is rigid easier to clean?
- is rigid cheaper than flex?
- other considerations

- Mixing flex with rigid is fine.

- Rigid is easier to clean. Not much, but some.

- Rigid costs more than flex.

- Get ten feet of flex, not five. You will need some of it due to the turn in the flue, reaching from the top of the fireplace to the stove and just because. If you get all flex get 30'. Poop happens. Especially with a liner installation.

I have been agonizing over the exact same situation/decision. And the answer that I have found is that either option 1 or 2 will work great in the end.

The rigid may have some benefits is liked by members here but in the end it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I am coming to the conclusion to just go with the 25' of RockFlex liner from Rockford which I hear is the same product as ForeverFlex. The price is good and the product /company has a good reputation on the forums.

I plan on ordering this within the next few days ... unless something changes my mind.

Hope this helps.

OK - did more reading and calling around and surfing on E-Bay. Man there is a huge difference in pricing on these flex liners. Now, what is driving the difference? I understand Ventinox is a continuous welded piece and that others may be crimped and rolled. The 316ti has titanium (instead of standard 316) which deals with the hot / cold better and is stronger. Finally, volume can drive price too. Sounds like people here like Ventinox, but do I need this? Can I go with crimped and rolled. What other mfgs / products should I consider?

Many thanks.

As much as anything pay attention to the stuff in the kit besides the liner. I don't think there is a dime's worth of difference between the single ply 316ti liners myself. I have a TSC and a Simpson DuraFlex and they are just alike. Pay attention to how the cap, top plate and stove adapter or tee connect. Ones that use hose clamp type bands are much easier to install and maintain than the ones that require you to use screws to hold everything together.

Status
Not open for further replies.