Liner install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
I have a 30NC going in the basement, and I'm contemplating the savings of installing my chimney liner myself.
(1) How do I make the hole for the stove pipe to enter the flue? Circ saw and masonry blade?
Thanks guys.

If you have a chimney that goes to the basement, what is the opening into it now?

I'm currently contemplating setting the 30NC out in front of the existing fireplace and running the stove pipe up a ways and then horizontal a ways, then thru the chimney face and into the flue. How do I make tht hole?

We need a whole lot more information. Pictures would really help a bunch. What does the chimney serve now? Where is this appliance located in the house? Have you ever done this sort of work before?

In any case, if you're talking about punching through a masonry chimney structure in order to install a thimble, then the preferred method would be having it bored to the diameter needed. You want to end up with a nice round hole into which is inserted a thing called a thimble. If you go after that chimney with a masonry blade on a circular saw, you're going to hose it all up and be found in the morning completely buried in masonry dust. (only partially kidding) :rolleyes: Rick

Reactions: gd9704
Okay fossil, that's kinda what I figured. The pros use a big honkin' hole saw. I assume?

Okay fossil, that's kinda what I figured. The pros use a big honkin' hole saw. I assume?

Yeah...a big honkin' masonry hole saw...the best results are obtained from a water-cooled/lubricated unit. Gettin' it done right ain't cheap. Look in the phone book for concrete boring and call around a bit. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.