Liner install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I used the search function, but can't find a topic that answers my question. I'm installing a add-on furnace that will be vented to the existing masonary chimney. Last night we pulled out the furnace PVC pipes that someone had run up the chimney and took a look at what condition the flue was in. It was a little dirty, but my FIL said that the flue looked good and he would hook up the stove and start using it. I would rather be safe than sorry and have decided to install a SS liner (they really aren't that expensive). The inside dimensions of the clay flue is 6.5" square, so a 6" liner should fit. The chimney is a straight shot from the basement to the roof and the amount of lining I'll really have to use is probably about 18'-19'. The chimney is interior with only about 3-4' sticking above the roof.

My question has to do with the T that comes in the kits. I understand that it's not difficult to shove the liner down the flue, but how does this T get hooked up? Will I have to enlarge the current hole that is in the basement and cement the T in or how does it fit in the existing flue?

Any suggestions would be helpful and thanks in advance.

Here's a diagram of what I am talking about. Can I just cut the green area out and push the T into that spot? Do I even need to re-block that area with cement or can I leave it open to have access to the cap on the bottom of the T? In my mind, when using a stainless liner, the chimney and flue are really only being used as a pass through thimble or a spacer between liner and combustibles aren't they?

Attachments

• chimney.JPG
    chimney.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 250
Well I had a similar situation as you describe. I purchased a wood stove insert and wanted to put a ss liner inside. My clay liner is 6-1/2" x 10-1/2". I was going to put in a 6 in diameter ss flex liner but my concern and you'll have to take a closer look is the flue clay tiles are not perfctly stacke one on top of another. So if the i.d. of the ss liner is 6 and the o.d is 6-1/4 if the tile is off by 1/4" I'll have all types of issues snaking a liner down the top of a chimney. I visted 2 stove shops and wil some calculations I don't need a ss liner all the way up, just 5 ft about the stove will work.

Frank

Actually, I went up and measured again. The ID of my flue is 6-7/8". From the looks of the flex liners, they are around 6-3/8". I'm pretty sure it should go in without too much drama.

I hope some others jump in and answer my original questions though.

You can also "ovalize" the 6" liner to give you more room. Can't answer th T question, but you are smart to go with a full liner. Easy to clean. Partial liner? Pain to clean. KD

After looking at some downloaded installation instructions, I can now see how the T is properly installed. The issue they don't address is cleaning of the liner. With the bottom of the T capped, where does all the stuff go? Do I have to remove the stove pipe and vacuum out the T after cleaning, or will I have to chip out my masonary work to uncap the bottom of the T?

Status
Not open for further replies.