liner install - tee snout problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Ok so everything went pretty well on my liner install until I was almost done. Everything was in place and we got the tee fed through the snout. Went to screw it down,a nd the band is like way to long? Maybe they sent me the wrong piece? It need to be probably around 2" shorter, maybe 3.

I dont know anyone that has a spot welder but can I just cut the strap and sheet metal screw or pop rivet it back on a few inches shorter?

snout_800.jpg

Is it the same diameter as the tee? My liner came with the wrong size snout. it was 1/2" smaller in diameter that the tee and liner. A new one was promptly shipped. I would call them for a replacement.

Its the right size, the tee is 5.5" and the snout is 6". But with the band all the way screwed to the end of the 'threads' it wasnt even up against the tee body yet.

I'm guessing they would replace it for me, but I'd rather mod this one if thats an option... I've got tomorrow off and then not another day for a while. And tomorrow is probably going to be the last nice day to be out on the roof, in the 60's, and the ladder and everything is still out. Its suppose to start cooling down and I'd really like to fire it up by the weekend.

I was thinking sheet metal screw is out, since it will be fairly tight against the tee body and dont want anything protruding. If I rivet it from the inside out it would be pretty flush on the inside. So is there any reason a pop-riveted connection wouldnt be as good as the spot welded one? I could overlap the cut end by an inch or two and put a couple rivets in it.

I would think it would be ok with stainless rivets, though I'd use 3.

I would cut it on the tack welded side and pop rivet it a few inches back. With stainless steel pop rivets. Not aluminum.

Edit: But make sure it mates up to the tee snuggle first. The band being to be may be a hint it was for a bigger tee.

BrotherBart said:
The band being to be may be a hint it was for a bigger tee.

Well thats what I thought, seems like it might fit an 8" tee, but why would you have an 8" liner and a 6" snout? Or maybe they just grabbed the wrong strap at the shop when the made it.

Im guessing mfr defect. I think pop rivets will be fine, just make sure it is ALL stainless steel. Many pop rivets in hardware stores have different materials for the body and mandrel. Same with the back up washers, should be stainless, which should be used because of the thin gauge or you risk pull through.

By the way, i would rivet from the outside so the protrusion is inside the liner. Isnt the snout a tight fit?

Not sure what your asking, normally the snout and band are tight against the tee body so any protrusion on the inside would separate the two. Now after the lip where the two surfaces meet shouldnt be a big deal, but on the outside there is plenty of room its just dead air space so no sense not having it stick out to the outside.

I tried locating some stainless steel pop rivets, well no one has em. Would be something I'd have to mail order. Also only place that welds around here I could get a hold of wanted $25. Think I'd rather just wait the extra week or whatever to have them send me the right part. Or use a couple of small stainless steel machine screws.

No SS pop-rivets? That's odd, I get them from our local True Value. Do you have a local Sears store with a tools dept? They should have them. Maybe call a local stove shop or a sheet-metal shop?

I was thinking it was going to be hard to find stainless rivets at your local hardware stores. You could order from McMaster. I think at this point it would be better to have them send you the right part.

Status
Not open for further replies.