Liner Insulation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK-1

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2006
I've been researching liners and insulation for about 2 weeks. I have a 35 foot chimney that I will be putting a liner in soon. Since its a external chimney, I'm thinking about insulating it as well. As I visited numerous sites pricing products, I've noticed that alot of companies sell insulation kits only up to 25 feet. Is this the longest size these kits come in?.. or liners longer than 25 feet don't need to be insulated?..

I have insulated double wall rigid from top down to the first flue tile. I called Dura Vent direct, and was advised that from the first flue tile down did not need insulation.
That saved me from having to buy insulation wrap for the bottom 5 feet, which is flex in my set up.
Your best bet is call a local shop that sells the stuff, or better yet call a few of the manufacturers.

A local shop may sell you 10 extra ft off thier 25ft roll. Most venders sell it in a box of 25ft. Simpson DuraLiner insulation comes in 48" lengths, and its like a sleeve you slide over the liner. You just get as many as you need to cover the whole thing. Also as Hog said, you only need the insulation where the flue tiles are, and he also has the Simpson DuraLiner rigid pipe (in the tiled section) which is pre-insulated (similar to class A). That pipe makes it easier to clean, but costs a little more.

Thanks fellas..

Bout 6 X 30 from the local shop... The first 5 feet to the first tile will be all direct connect.. Then its full round liner and insulation from then on...

Install will be done on Sunday morning before the game..

** I hope **

I am a bit confused. Direct connect is only running up to first flue tile and a block off plate. Thats not a full liner. Did you mean full liner top to bottom, with no insulation on the lower 5', then insulation the rest of the way up? That would be good.

Hogwildz said:
I am a bit confused. Direct connect is only running up to first flue tile and a block off plate. Thats not a full liner. Did you mean full liner top to bottom, with no insulation on the lower 5', then insulation the rest of the way up? That would be good.

At the first flue tile the round full-liner is connected to the direct connect kit and goes all the way up to the top. Liner will be insulated from the first flue tile (where the round flue liner starts), all the way up the chimney. From there, the liner at the top will be cut and trimmed for the top plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.