Liner insulation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burleymike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2010
SE Idaho
I got my liner insulation kit today the liner as well as the insert will be here Thursday. The kit did not come with the spray adhesive, foil tape, or the stainless locking wire. For the deal I got on the insulation it is fine it did not come with that stuff.

I already have plenty of the foil tape and a couple cans of spray adhesive. My question is what is the stainless steel locking wire for and how important is it? Is it something special or just plain old stainless steel wire that I can buy at the hardware store?

I just put in my liner a few weeks ago. The s/s mesh is like a mesh sock. The diameter of the mesh was more than I needed. I went out and bought a roll of s/s wire and cinched the excess mesh tight and wrapped a piece of wire around the liner every 16" to 18" to keep it from catching on any obstructions. I did not use the spray adhesive. The insulation went on fine, just had wifey ahead of me pulling it up on liner and I taped it across every few feet and then did a continuous seam up the length of liner. I think that the run of the mill hardware mesh is too stiff for the application. If your flue is large enough, the liner may go in just fine. What a difference having the liner now. Worth every penny.

My insulation came with the mesh just not the stainless steel wire that I have seen in some of the kits. I found a video on Youtube that showed the guy wrapping the liner with this stainless wire after he put the mesh around it. I guess it is just to keep the mesh in place. My clay flue is 10" ID so I should have plenty of room and less chance of it getting caught up. Thanks for the info.

Ok,gotcha. Mine did not have the wire either. They said if you want to buy some spiral it up and down over the mesh. Sounds like you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.