Liner is too small ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmack

Dec 10, 2012
Hi all new here and I'm in need of help. I have a 9 tube free flow wood stove and I just recently installed a stainless liner in my chimney. I ordered a 5.5inch insulated liner as this was the biggest I could fit in my chimney. I can't tell what is going on. I can only run the stove with the front damper bearly cracked. If I try to turn it up the stove starts to chug and back puff. From reading all I can tell this is usually caused by lack of draft or too wet or too dry of wood. I've experimented with different wood to no effect. Which leaves me with bad draft. Which is really heart braking because I can't come up with any way to fix this short of buliding a new chimney. This is my only heat and a fire temp of 300-350 isn't going to cut it when it's 0 outside.

Thanks for any help

The 5.5" liner will reduce draft a little but it shouldn't be significant. Every setup is different. How tall is the chimney? What is the stove pipe setup?

9" inch down to 5.5" inch is necking it down way to far. What stove are we talking about here and as James says tell us about the chimney setup. Height, type of connection from the stove etc.

OK. Now I get it. You have a nine tube Bullerjan stove. The exhaust on that stove should be five or six inches max.

bullerjan.jpg

Ok it's a 30 ft chimney that is made of red brick and had a clay tile liner that failed the I'd was 11.5x 6.75. My stove has a 6inch pipe that necks down right at the stainless liner.

The most confusing part is I can run the stove with the door open an inch and get just the performance I need. It's just when I shut the door all hell brakes loose.

I always did like the look of those stoves. With a 30ft chimney I would bank on the fuel being too wet. JMHO and where are you located?

Status
Not open for further replies.