Liner kit arrived today! Any advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EatenByLimestone said:
I'll do my best not to fall off the roof.

Matt

Have at least one other person to help.
If there is enough extra length, cut a slit about 6" or 8" and make a cone out of it at the end, leaving an opening large enough to fit a good sturdy rope through..
Put a rope with a big washer on the inside & tie a knot on the inside end. Drop other end of rope down the chimney.
Have one guy on roof feeding the liner in and pushing it down, and one below pulling the rope to help pull the liner down.
If it hits some tight spots, try spinning or turning the liner and work it down.
Any visible mortar protruding from the old tile seams that you can reach, get a pole or something and try and knock the excess mortar off.
Be patient and twist, turn, push & pull.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure the company says there will be the vertical part of a T on the bottom. I wonder if that will make it easier. Maybe I can fold some cardboard.

Matt

I drilled a hole in the tee cap and attached an eye bolt to it to tie the rope onto. Then attached the tee cap with stainless sheet metal screws.

I would say that it also makes a handy handle for pulling the tee cap but we would have to ask Forum member Todd since my tee is now installed in his chimney.

i'll second the rope..definitely need something to pull it down with. I had 2 buddies on the roof and I was in the fireplace pulling. Took us 15 minutes.

Oh yeah, let your buddy be on the bottom, its cleaner on the roof side ;)

Or better yet be standing at good spot on the ground to be able to handle the communication between the friend on the roof and the friend in the house.

Or tell your buddies you need to be sitting at your computer to provide a blow by blow live feed coming into hearth.com. And be sure to have some cold ones in the fridge for afterewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.