Liner needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmac40

Apr 21, 2015
Missouri
I’m considering switching from a vent free gas log system back to a wood stove. I have a flue brick chimney already and it’s in good shape. The inside dimension of the flue tile is 6.25” x 10.50”. The wood stove I’m considering is the Woodstock Fireview. Should I get a flue liner and if so, should it be insulated? My concern is that it could be a tight fit running it down that size of flue opening, especially if it’s insulated. Woodstock recommends a 6” liner for proper draft for their stoves.

It will be tight, but the results and increased safety are usually worth it. You may need to go to a 5.5" liner. How tall is the chimney?

Yes you need a liner and yes it should be insulated that means it will either have to be ovalized or the old tiles will need to come out

Just under 15'. I guess they make a reducer for 5.5" to 6"?
That height is just adequate for decent draft. Call Woodstock and see what they say about running the stove on 5.5" at 15' of flue.

If woodstock says it is ok to run 5.5 go for it but it should still be insulated which you wont have room for even at 5.5". Is this a fireplace or just a chimney? Is it interior or exterior? Does it have the required clearance from the outside of the masonry structure to combustible materials? I feel strongly that every liner should be insulated but if it is interior and has the required 2" clearance you would probably be fine without insulation. But if it is exterior or doesn't have the proper clearance you really should insulate it. Which would mean ovalizing or removing the old liners. And if you ovalize you cant use 5.5 you would have to check with woodstock to see if an ovalized 6" would have enough volume when we ovalize for a 6" stove we always go up to 7" to maintain the proper volume.

It's an exterior brick chimney, not near any combustible materials. I've got an email out to Woodstock to see if an insulated 5x7 oval liner will work. The wood stove that we used to have (steel stove, can't remember the brand name) drafted fine without any issues and that was not using any liner. Hopefully the Fireview will draft without any issues as well. Thanks for all the great replies!

It's an exterior brick chimney, not near any combustible materials.
So you have 1" between it and any combustible part of your house all the way to the top even through the roof?

I stand corrected. The chimney is surrounded by roof decking and shingles as it goes through the roof. Based on everything I've read and these comments, I will use an insulated liner.

Reactions: bholler
It's an exterior brick chimney, not near any combustible materials. I've got an email out to Woodstock to see if an insulated 5x7 oval liner will work. The wood stove that we used to have (steel stove, can't remember the brand name) drafted fine without any issues and that was not using any liner. Hopefully the Fireview will draft without any issues as well. Thanks for all the great replies!
IIRC, we have had past members on a shorter 14'? chimney with the Fireview and it performed ok.

I stand corrected. The chimney is surrounded by roof decking and shingles as it goes through the roof. Based on everything I've read and these comments, I will use an insulated liner.
you will appreciate the added performance as well

Status
Not open for further replies.