Liner ordered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theswampthing

Aug 25, 2013
Northeastern PA
Finally ordered a chimney liner today and will be picking it up on Saturday. A little late in the season, but better late than never. Hopefully be burning wood for Thanksgiving.

I went with a liner from Chimney Liner Depot. 26' at 5.5" should be a little easier to snake down. I may be looking for guidance on Saturday afternoon, and moral support at the very least. ;lol How long does a liner usually take you guys? Looks to be minimal mortar snags, and only a slight curve to the chimney.

What type of stove? Are you also installing a bottom block of plate?

Pending the chimney, the liner goes in pretty easy but the devil is in the details with the peripherals (t-connector, block off plates, insulation, etc)

i also bought from them and dropping this 8 inch with insulation and had very little problem but as mentioned the connection and t and block off plate takes time. I fabbed up my own block off plate and hung it off the damper frame with home made brackets and toggle bolts

DSC04145.JPG
DSC04155.JPG

You're going to sleep well the night you get that guy in! The long ones are heavy! Stay safe!

Oregon, it's a new stove for me and a safety precaution. The chimney hasn't seen a wood fire in a good 60 years is guess. I figured piece of mind was certainly worth 280 bucks. I grew up on wood and coal, and I'm finally getting wood back in my house. Luckily, my house had 2 flues, 1 for the boiler and 1 for the wood cook stove. I'm lining the empty cool stove flue for the install. Picking it up early tomorrow, so I'll try and shove it down tomorrow, too. Hopefully have a fire going this weekend.

Also got permission to take standing dead and fallen timber from 7,000 acres that butts up to my property, so I'm pretty excited about that as well. The old Wheel Horse is going to get a workout this winter.

I hope you already have seasoned dry wood for your stove. The standing dead and anything in log form won't necessarily be dry enough to burn in a EPA wood stove. The moister content should be under 20%, and never more then 30%. You don't want poor burns and to be unsafe with your new set up. Happy wood heat.

I hope you already have seasoned dry wood for your stove. The standing dead and anything in log form won't necessarily be dry enough to burn in a EPA wood stove. The moister content should be under 20%, and never more then 30%. You don't want poor burns and to be unsafe with your new set up. Happy wood heat.

Thanks for the tip! I did not know that about the EPA stoves. I have no wood at the moment. Planning on raiding dad's woodpile for this winter, and bucking and splitting for the years ahead. I cut a few cords of it myself, so we planned on this. Just have to hook the trailer up to the Blazer. I guess I should invest in moisture meter, since the EPA is much pickier?

Just picked up my liner, BTW. Very nice and helpful people at chimney liner depot.

Finished! That was actually one of the easier jobs I have done. Couldn't believe how light the liner was. To actually stuff the liner in took maybe 5 minutes. The only difficult part was that I didn't have much footing at the peak. I tied off, though.

Thanks for the advise. I'm sure this has been covered 1000x, but I was excited to finally get started.

Congrats and glad you are safely back on the ground.

Thanks! I'm glad to be back on the ground, too. Hopefully the last roof I'm on until roofing season starts again in the spring.

Was I worried about a roofer being on the roof? ;lol

Reactions: ddddddden
Was I worried about a roofer being on the roof? ;lol

I am certainly a carpenter, although I'm not actually sure you were concerned about my well being. Hahaha

Journeyman carpenter by trade. Do everything from roofs to millwork. Also went to school for electrical and welding, and worked in a fab shop for a while out of school. Long story short, I enjoy collecting tools and machinery, and sometimes using them.

Finished! That was actually one of the easier jobs I have done. Couldn't believe how light the liner was. To actually stuff the liner in took maybe 5 minutes. The only difficult part was that I didn't have much footing at the peak. I tied off, though.

Thanks for the advise. I'm sure this has been covered 1000x, but I was excited to finally get started.

Now onto the block off plate and stove hook up.

I thought the block off plate was for wood stoves going into an old fireplace chimney. I hope I'm not forgetting something?

The block off plate is to keep all the heat from going up into that space so you get it into the house instead. Stove or insert, doesn't matter.

You don't want to let all that heat going up the chimney.A block off plate makes world of improvement in heating the whole house

Oh oh, I'm not installing into an old fireplace. This is a chimney where the old cook stove was hooked up. Just a thimble going through the block wall into the masonry chimney. The new T fits nice and tight, which I will seal as well.

Easy job then, hope the rest goes smoothly.

I guess I should invest in moisture meter, since the EPA is much pickier?
I'm sort of a moisture meter nazi here, so I'll say yes ;)

Actually, it's the only way to be sure. Otherwise it's guesswork and for under $20 you don't have to guess. Just use it properly by pressing the pins into a freshly split face, preferably with the grain and you're good. Ideal is 20%, okay is 25 with some losses. Over that, you need to take some steps to mitigate.

Sounds like you're in great shape and looking ahead.

Any specific brand or style? Just did a quick search on Amazon and they have about 5,000 different types. Seems like a good investment to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.