liner question for the experts...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggere

Feb 1, 2011
Wilmington, NC
Ok so here is the million dollar question...if I have an 8" liner installed to hook up to my 1984 Buck 26000 with the Buck stack adapter...can I use an 8" to 6" reducer to make the new liner fit a 6" stove stack if I decide to go with a newer wood stove? Or would it be better to have a 6" liner put in and then use the reducer the other direction?

I have been quoted by two installers and they are saying its going to cost $2500+ for a liner...that seems way out of line to me knowing I can buy the liner with insulation for less than $1000...thoughts?

I have been weighing the options between getting a pellet stove in a different room or having a liner installed to try and make the existing chimney work...what I don't want to do is dump a bunch of money into a liner when a freestanding pellet stove (or wood) in a different location might do a better job...I have been going round and round with this for more than a year now and have yet to make one a better option than the other...cost is a major factor in this as money is very tight...

What does the manual for your stove say?

it doesn't...and as of now its installed as a slammer...I called Buck stove and talked with them...they had no issue with it either way...their only concern was that if I went with a 6" liner that I would reduce the draft...they also said that the model I had was not very tight so it probably would not be an issue...they said they don't make a reducer but pointed me to one on woodland direct...

the reducer... http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Chimney-Liner-Parts/Free-Flow-Reducer-Increaser-316L

For about $50 (+/-) I'd try the SS adapter from Woodland...
If it works, it's a good investment. If your performance is so
bad that you find you have to install the 6" liner, you can probably
find somebody who needs that adapter...

are there any negatives to installing an 8" liner for a stove that has a 6" flue? Do people install a 6" only for cost or easier install? I would like to do a 6" with the expander if you guys can't think of any negatives...later on it will have the correct size for any wood insert that is used as it looks like most use a 6"...

I burned in my old Sierra insert with eight inch oval flue collar into a twenty-one foot six inch liner with no problem. In fact it had too much draft. The old slammers were never designed with that much draft in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.