Liner question with current Slammer will replace in the future

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harner

Nov 9, 2014
South Carolina
I have read this entire thread all 59 pages, learned a lot. We have a Slammer, I have learned. It has Pioneer on the front of it, Brand? It also has an Eagle looking down over the embossed wording. Don't know if Pioneer was a brand.

We have been using it for years, as an insert using the existing masonry fire place with a clay liner. It measures 10" inside measurements.

We had a fire a couple of years ago and have had an inspection and have a few small cracks. So we now plan to fully line the chimney with an insulated liner.

The Wood stove, does not have a way to connect a liner to it, so we have to make a custom boot, it is a rectangular opening coming off the back of the stove. NO one has anything that will work with our situation, so we will make a custom boot our self.

So our question is: What size liner to install, 6" or 8". In our research most newer stoves use the 6" liners, but we have no idea what this stoves spec are. In reading here I understand the needs to follow the manufactures specs, but none were around when this stove was made, I am sure. Since I have learned about airflow being important for efficiency, and safety, would like to continue to use this stove for at least 1-2 more seasons. We do not use it unattended, it is supplement heat only, old stove makes me nervous to leave the house with it running, not sure I could with a new one either.

Any other help advice would be greatly appreciated.

What size is the rectangle opening You should batch the volume of that and the liner as closely as possible

hmm, so if we plan to change this stove out in the near future we should look at stoves that need 8" liner or we would have to change out the liner, correct? If I understand, too big a liner would cause the stove to have lower burn that could cause build up and give higher risk for fires, right?

I don't know..There are some inserts with 6" flues that would be ok on an 8" flue, Im sure. If you are going to change the insert in the NEAR future, I would just do the insert and liner at the same time. Burn oil or whatever until then. A 6" liner will be cheaper, no custom adapters, etc.

If the stove is going to be changed out I would do the liner and the stove at the same time. Most modern stoves take a 6" liner. A modern stove will work on an 8" liner if it is tall enough and insulated, but that may be a challenge in a 10" chimney.

How tall is the chimney? You might be able to run it on 6" if the chimney is tall enough

A new stove connected and run properly is quite safe. Many of us run them 24/7. For peace of mind this requires a safely installed stove burning dry wood correctly.

Chimney height may be our challenge. We have 10' .
OK so recommendations on new stoves: Our house is a ranch, approx 2000 sq ft
Fireplace is huge dont have the exact measurements with the insert in place, but it is masonry with a clay liner. There is a crack in the clay liner from a fire, minor, but we have not used the current insert since the fire 2yrs ago. Fireplace was inspected by chimney sweep. They recommended putting in a liner and customizing a fit to our existing stove or replacing the stove.
Stove is in the living room which is in the middle of the house

Husband is extremely handy, works on computer, builds buildings, does electrical, plumbing,welding, etc not much he isnt capable of doing. So he planned to purchase liner online and install himself.

So was planning on 8" insulated liner and then using the vermiculite to fill in around the liner, i believe thats what he called it, maybe overkill? whatever it is it was stuff that went on the outside of the liner to fill in the gap between the liner and the clay walls of the chimney.

I am researching replacing the insert, he is looking to modify the current stove. I am fairly sure we could put in a free standing insert into the fire place or a insert. So interested in both ideas. I lean to the inser as the fireplace wasnt that nice looking with all the use it has had and not sure it could be cleaned up to have a free standing in there.

Like the idea of using the insert 24/7 to off set the cost of propane to heat the house.

The chimney height will be a major issue. You will need an extender for a modern stove and will need to choose one that breathes quite easily. With a crack in the clay liner an insulated stainless liner is a must. If it can be extended to 12-14' a Pacific Energy insert should work. In your climate I would look at the Pacific Super or the Alderlea T5 inserts. That will take a 6" liner that can be insulation wrapped. This is far superior to pouring vermiculite around the liner. Another stove to consider would be a Buck 80 catalytic stove. In freestanding, you might need a rear exit stove unless the lintel height is 3ft or more. Woodstock's Fireview would be a good stove to consider for rear exit.

Without know the limitations due to firebox size, or the style which you are interested, I will simply suggest 2 large inserts that I have both sold or used in the past.
A Quadrafire 5100I or a Regency I3100
Both burn overnight easily and both should heat what you are describing.
I'll go against my promise and say that if heat and overnight burns were great, but I was willing to sacrifice some heat and burn time for beauty, I would look at the Hearthstone Clydesdale
Then there are the Catalytic stoves. I burned a Blaze King Chinook for 3 years and loved the once a day loading and super steady heat. So I always toyed with the idea of a Blaze King cat insert.

What I need is a house with 5 fireplaces and $30,000 to spend solely on inserts.

Most of these may require doing something to extend the chimney as described above.

Thank You both so much. We had planned on stainless insulated liner, but he was planning to also insulate with the vermiculite in addition. To completely fill in the whole flue. IS it not necessary to add the vemiculite with a insulated SS liner?

Will have to measure the Lintel height, that is the only thing I dont know. We need to pull that heavy stove back out to do the measurements again to be sure.

I know there are differing opinion on Cat and non cat, can you give a quick pro con of each, we dont really have an opinion on it.

No need for both types of insulation just wrap or pour in vermiculite and cement mix. Cat stoves cost more but generally give you longer burn times and the ability to shut them down harder and give more even heat. Non cats are simple stoves generally with less to go wrong with them. There are many good examples of both types

Status
Not open for further replies.