Liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the record I have an interior chimney and this fall I removed the unit, insulated the liner and put in a block off plate over the damper. There is a lot more heat and longer burn as well as a cleaner chimney. Do it right the 1st time and you will be happy. The place that did the install basically lied to me as well as the hampton rep himself. After doing it right I am more estatic with the performance!

point taken the summit is being delivered today so i will be able to get my hands on it, then i can take all the measurments i need and plan it out. then i still need to tile in front and raise my mantel 2 inches. how do you insulate the Liner?

I agree with Brother Bart as far as what the manual says regarding a block off plate requrements and initally installed mine without one, after reading posts here about the advantages of having one I pulled the faceplate off my insert and installed one and insulated it with leftover liner insulation.

There is a kit to insulate the liner. 1/2 inch insulation with a 3m adhesive and some hose clamps. The insulation has a foil face.

hmm. I am not sure if i can get the insulated iner thru the hole but it sounds like it might be worth a try. get er right the first time...Or would i be fine insulating the cap and the backside of the block-off. my chim is about 20 feet comming from the basement. as it goes up thruogh the house its back side is in our garage behind faced with foundation bricks. The summit was delivered this morniing its all coming together as planned hehehehehehehe

I have an internal chimney. It would warm all the masonary and warm the attic and cause ice damning on the roof! Now I have no problems. I insulated the liner, the top 2 feet before I capped it, and a layer of rock wool over the block off plate (inside the chimney) to cover all bases. The insulation allows you to choke the fire down more and increase the temp and the time between loads. I have had it both ways and can tell you that you are wasting wood and heat by not insulating!

Unless you are completely certain your chimney meets solid fuel codes, including airspace clearance from combustibles, then insulate it IAW the instructions from the manufacturer of your liner. Give the Best practices link in my signature a read for the details. In short - reduced clearances, better performance, safer. And a recommended best practice

OK, what I said and what he said! Just do it and you will sleep better at night and be warmer...isn't that the point? %-P

I know you cant see me but I am bowing down in a waynes world sort of way. Thanks for all of your insight and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.