Liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
I've not yet been able to determine whether my liner is 316/904 or 316/316, though it was expensive enough to make me think it could be the latter. What I'm concerned about is whether burning smokeless anthracite briquettes would produce fumes which would corrode my liner (especially if it's 316/316). Does anyone know a link to the burning by-products of anthracite?

Thanks,

John

jtcedinburgh said:
I've not yet been able to determine whether my liner is 316/904 or 316/316, though it was expensive enough to make me think it could be the latter. What I'm concerned about is whether burning smokeless anthracite briquettes would produce fumes which would corrode my liner (especially if it's 316/316). Does anyone know a link to the burning by-products of anthracite?

Thanks,

John

I'm not quite familiar with the numbers you are using, I am in the liner business and normally you can have 304L 316L 316TI 321SS but I have not heard a 904... unless it's some sort of clad metal.

There's definitely a 904 grade liner, I'm fairly certain. Leaving it out of the equation for now, however, how would you say 316L or 316Ti copes with the fumes from anthractite or similar solid smokeless fuels? Particularly interested in avoiding long-term damage by corrosion...

Supposedly a 904 inner layer in your twin wall liner will cope with burning coal better than 316anything but it hasn't been around long enough for verification.

No mystery on what causes liner corrosion with coal. Sulfuric acid especially when wet coal is burned or where rain gets into the liner.

I take it the same would be true of anthracite (smokeless coal)? Though I'd be unlikely to burn any of it wet...

Is the risk particularly high if the smokeless fuel is dry and the stack is up to a decent temperature before the fuel is added? Reason I ask is that my plan would be: start fire with kindling, move to logs, then put a shovel worth of anthracite briquettes in the stove before retiring to bed, so that there'd be heat overnight and enough left for a morning burn.

I'm poised ready to order some to try, but wary due to this unquantified risk to my (probably 316-grade) liner...

Status
Not open for further replies.