Liner Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckeyeWilly

Mar 7, 2008
Eastern Ohio
I have decided to go with an EPA Stove (really like the Quadra-fire 5700 Step top) rather than an add-on furnace. My chimney is exterior and has clay liners that have an iside diameter of 6-1/2" x 10-1/4". This stove has a 6" flue pipe. I called Hartshearth.com and spoke with a lady who said that the liner along with insulation would be to thick. They are to get back to me. What are my options here. Does it absolutely have to be insulated? Chimeny length is 16 feet.

It all depends on the manufacture of the liner and what shape the clay tiles are in. I would run a 5.5in liner uninsulated and see how it works for the first season.. I think you'll find out that it will draft just fine.

BuckeyeWilly said:
I have decided to go with an EPA Stove (really like the Quadra-fire 5700 Step top) rather than an add-on furnace. My chimney is exterior and has clay liners that have an iside diameter of 6-1/2" x 10-1/4". This stove has a 6" flue pipe. I called Hartshearth.com and spoke with a lady who said that the liner along with insulation would be to thick. They are to get back to me. What are my options here. Does it absolutely have to be insulated? Chimeny length is 16 feet.

Just be careful, once you start adding up all of the accessories the price begins to jump up fairly quick.. we are working on a stainless inner insulated with aluminum outside.. just haven't finished all of the testing yet..

Status
Not open for further replies.