Liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
Well after seeing some condensation in the chimney, I am going to get a liner. We have a exterior masonary chimney thats a 7x11 or 8x12 flue. We never had any issues with condensation on the old woodfurnace because of the extra heat going up the flue. We haven't seen alot of buildup with the new furnace, and it drafts fine (Verified with Manometer), but the gasses are cool causing condensation. We need a 30' liner, and I think I'm going to use vermiculite as insulation for the liner. What I can't get in my head is if I need a cleanout, or not. The current chimney has one below the thimble. In the past I have removed buckets full of creasote with the old furnace. With the new furnace its been nothing. So with that said, could I just cap the base of the tee and not have a cleanout, or run a section of liner off the bottom of the tee for a cleanout below? I'm afraid of the connection at the thimble clogging, because I am used to the old furnace. Maybe i'm being paranoid.

What I am trying to ask is whether a cleanout is needed on a chimney. If I line the chimney i'll eliminate the cleanout below the thimble. Does anyone have a setup like this?

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 308
I'd think you could do it either way.
Cap the bottom of the T, or add liner to the bottom of the T to make it easier to clean out.
If you cap the bottom of the T. How easy will it be for you to get to the crud thats going to be resting at the bottom of the T where its capped?
Do it whichever way makes it easier for you to empty the contents after sweeping.

Well its about 26" from the center of the chimney to the outside where the flue connects. So it wouldn't be that easy to remove. Thats why I was thinking about adding a section for the cleanout to make life easier.

laynes69 said:
Well its about 26" from the center of the chimney to the outside where the flue connects. So it wouldn't be that easy to remove. Thats why I was thinking about adding a section for the cleanout to make life easier.

Add the section and make your life easier when cleaning it out.
You answered your own question there ;)

I cemented the cap to the bottom of the tee. When I sweep the liner, I just remove the stove pipe from the tee and reach in and scoop the junk out into a bucket I'm holding with the other hand. I would think with your setup though, it may be easier to clean if you add the piece to the bottom of the tee and extend it to a clean out.

BTW, about how much junk are you sweeping out after a season's burning with that US Stove you have? I got about 2 gallons of junk with my smoke dragon after about 4 cords. Thinking about saving for an EPA furnace now.

Theres been no buildup in the chimney, and maybe a few quarts in the flue pipe and the exchanger. Right now I'm burning less than seasoned wood so its going to be worse. Having a liner will make a difference. Right now the chimney is too big and its an exterior chimney. It worked fine until I got the new furnace. I've spoke with people who burn good seasoned wood in theres and they don't get much buildup. The beginning of the season my wood was much drier and there weren't any issues. Moving to a EPA furnace would be a very good move. I could have only imagined the creasote I would have had with the old woodfurnace.

I have a similar setup with my wood stove.

When I clean the chimney, the powdery stuff just accumulates in the bottom of the T and then I suck it out with a shop vac. I never get more than fills the bottom of the T.

You kind of already know what you want to do. It cant hurt to do it. I think its overkill. It takes less than a minute to undo the pipe going into the thimble to vacuum it out. Your sweating a small issue, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.