Liner size for my stove? And potential options.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
OK i had a post earlier about a liner, but this ones a bit different so im starting a new thread.

I am waiting till tomorrow to call the stove company and ask but wanna hear what you guys have to say.

I Live in upstate SC so that gives you an idea of my climate. I have an exterior chimney. Its brick and has 2 8x13 tiles side by side the long side facing the front of the fireplace. Its also going to be about 25 ft high. Currently i am running a "slammer" install as the folks on here call it. One flue tile is blocked off help with the draft.

My highvalley insert takes an 8" pipe. Problem is that the 8x13 tiles narrowest point is 6.5". Without busting out one tile what is my option. My thoughts are... two 6" pipes connected with a Y pipe over the stove. I dont even know if i can find a Y pipe? OR a 6" liner all the way to the stove with a 8-6" reducer on top of the stove or having about a 5ft flex liner up to where the flue tile starts then reduce down to a 6" pipe to the top? Do you think any of these options are viable?

If i run either of the options with the 6" termination pipe will i loose performace from my stove do you think. At this point i will not insulate the pipe i will just stuff insulation under the top plate.

I am trying to avoid having to pay to have the liner busted out or have to buy a square or ovalized pipe as those will cost double what the 8" pipe would cost or triple what the 6" round will cost.

What are yalls thoughts.

What does the manual say for the stove- does it say it will accept a 6" liner- If your chimney is that tight I wouldn't worry about insulation except for what you have just said to stuff around the top and bottom to cut off air in the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.