Liner Size for Regency CI2600 - 5.5” or 6”?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vetrano

Feb 16, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
I’d like to get the experts to provide their opinion/advice: Is a 5.5” diameter chimney liner acceptable for use with a Regency CI2600 wood insert? The fireplace is on the ground floor and the chimney is a little less than 25’ tall.

According to the CI2600 owner’s manual, the nameplate (page 4) states “COMPONENTS REQUIRED FOR INSTALLATION: 6" (152mm) STAINLESS STEEL LINER - LISTED TO: UL1777, ULCS635 OR ULCS640.” However in the section on Chimney Specifications (page 9) it states “Regency Inserts are designed to use either a 5.5" (140mm) or 6" (152mm) flue stainless steel liner.” A dealer told me this sentence allows a 5.5” liner to be used, but I’m confused on why the nameplate would not list 5.5” as well.

The dealer is recommending a 5.5” diameter liner instead of a 6” liner in my 8”x12” clay flue (inner dimensions of approximately 6.5”x10.5”) because installing a 6” liner would be difficult if not impossible due to any misalignment between the flue tiles. I also called a chimney liner dealer who provided the same advice of going with a 5.5” liner (without considering the actual insert in question).

I’d like to get the experts to provide their opinion/advice: Is a 5.5” diameter chimney liner acceptable for use with a Regency CI2600 wood insert? The fireplace is on the ground floor and the chimney is a little less than 25’ tall.
Call regency and ask them. I know they say it is ok for some of their stoves if the chimney is over 20' but I do not know about the 2600

I sent an email to Regency this morning and received a prompt response from their technical services department. In case anyone ever has the same question their response was "We have approved all Regency 5.5” liner kits with all of our woodstoves and inserts which take a 6” liner."

I sent an email to Regency this morning and received a prompt response from their technical services department. In case anyone ever has the same question their response was "We have approved all Regency 5.5” liner kits with all of our woodstoves and inserts which take a 6” liner."
well thanks that is not what they told me last time I asked but good to know things must have changed. But even at 5.5" there still will not be enough room for insulation. I would ovalize or break out the liners. Probably ovalize unless your clay liners are already cracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.