Liner-T + thimble question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

High_flyer

Oct 7, 2012
Hi all,

I've done quite a bit of research but there is still one area that I can't seem to get worked out, hopefully someone can help me here.

I'm going to install a free standing wood stove, with an insulated liner(6") through an interior masonry chimney. I get how to attach the T snout onto the liner etc. there is nothing in the chimney at this point, and there is no hole in it yet, so I'm going to have to make a hole in it to pass into my living room.

It will just be a brick chimney wall with maybe some decorative stone/rock mortared to it once I am done. Clearance to combustibles is about 2feet, so that should not present any big issues.
Currently I'm looking to a duraflex liner that connects to duravent DVL pipe.

Do I mortar the T-snout into the chimney wall? Or do I attach the T-snout onto a thimble like this one
https://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/secure/images/products/1255_large5.jpg
And mortar this first thimble sleeve in place ( looks like this thimble attaches to the T, and not that the pipe passes through it.

OR do I mortar in place in the hole that I create the white part to this insul-flue thimble
http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/st...in-Thimble-Only-(no-cover-assembly)/1999.html
To have the Tsnout pass inside it( i don't see how I would have enough room to attach a DVL pipe to the T with a thimble like this and connection would then be inside the thimble)

With the chimney wall only being about 4" thick and the completed pass though maximum 5-6" it looks like overkill for my situation

It all looks a lot different from the installed pictures that I have seen here, but without any part numbers I have no clue exectly what everyone has installed.

So please, I am open to suggestions, help me wrap my head around this please.

Mark

Welcome Mark. I think you want the first option if the nearest combustible framing or trim is 2 ft away in all directions. That works with the DuraLiner system though, not DuraFlex. Give Sean at dynamite buys a call. He is knowledgeable and helpful. They'll get you set up right.

Status
Not open for further replies.