liner termination point/cap question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
I slid the new 6" liner inside the prexisting 8" liner the other day no problem. I did not order the rain cap to save money, and because I already have a nice terra cotta cap. The issue is the liner termination point is kind of close to the top of the terra cotta cap. I did not measure it but hopefully this pic uploads. Is this ok, and if not, can I just trim a few inches off the top with tin snips?

Attachments

• cap].jpg
    cap].jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 97
  • cap].jpg
    cap].jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 92
Wait and see how it does. I doubt there will be an issue.

I couldn't find any recommended distance from the end of the liner to the top of the cap. Any ideas?

Like the good Dennis said, give her a try - I think it will be fine. From the picture you have more air space than many pipe-mounted caps allow.

Almost exactly what I want to do, but my terracotta flues are at the same height. I was worried about the same clearance issues.

TE

Ok for you anal types. Here is the official 2010 edition NFPA 211 Section 4.6.2 ruling.
To summarize: for a 6" pipe, you need 6" of clearance.

rain cap.jpg

Attachments

• Rain Cap.PDF
    99.1 KB · Views: 183
Perfect, thank you. Time to build my own I guess.

TE

Status
Not open for further replies.