Liner Thickness Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I am doing some reading on some of these chimney liners and am amazed at how thin they are - some at .005 inches, others at .006 inches.

I got my calipers and took a look-see at how thin .005 is and a piece of paper is almost at thick!

How tough are these liners? It is amazing that you can replace a clay liner that may be over 1/2 in thick with such thin material.

Do these things ever get punctured when cleaning with a brush? I assume they last for many many years too.

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

There are many people with flex liners that don't have any problems with them. For others I have read about cutting some with a box cutter. I was a machinist for some years and I choose to go with a 22 gauge rigid liner. I'm sure the flex would have been fine, but I didn't trust it. As long as the liners aren't abused they should last for years.

The liners, if installed correctly, are very durable. They can withstand 2100 degree plus temps numerous time. Try that once with a clay tile! Don't let the the thickness throw you off on what they are meant to do. Yea, its thin and you can easily stab a snips or screwdriver thru them, but the aren't engineered to withstand that. They are made to function as a chimney system and they do a fine job of it. Most of the better ones also have lifetime warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies.