Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
I have been pricing liners for my chimmney and it seems the price is .....well Pricey. My question is : Why couldn't I line my chimney with 6" 16 ga steel pipe even if It needs to be replaced every few years?
Thanks,
Mike

Thats a question of function and saftey. Shure that pipe would draft just fine. Its the correct volume. But its not a listed liner, and in the event of a chimney fire, it would be destroyed and possibly destroy your house. If some freak accident were to happen, your home owners insurance would likley dismiss the claim.

I think the issue is that pipe being able to handle the heat from a chimney fire. I'm no pro, but I figure if you pony up for the stainless liner, you'll be set for many years to come, as opposed to having to worry about when it should be replaced, etc...

BTW...not a good weekend for wood cutting. How does your schedule look for next Sat or Sunday?? I would still like to get up there for a load or two of wood.

joel

mtarbert said:
I have been pricing liners for my chimmney and it seems the price is .....well Pricey. My question is : Why couldn't I line my chimney with 6" 16 ga steel pipe even if It needs to be replaced every few years?
Thanks,
Mike

Mike I just sent you a PM on a good source for a listed liner kit that won't break the bank.

mtarbert said:
Thanks,
Mike

Surely you mean 26 ga pipe. A 16 ga pipe would have to be welded and would probably need a crane to drop it down the chimney ;-).

No......I ment 16ga not 1/6 of an inch........it is probably twice the thickness of 24ga but, sheetmetal is not my forte"

Actually, you're pretty close, it's about 1/16" - 0598". But for a 25' run it would weigh a whole lot! Might work though, some car headers are made from 16 ga steel.

mtarbert said:
Thanks,
Mike

That is really thick stuff - as mentioned, it will take a lot of drilling or welding to put that together.

But, to answer your question, if your chimney is already in safe condition...then this would probably work. However, consider that inside a chimney is a tough environment and the pipe is attacked by the elements from both sides.

If you are a DIY type, you can surely shop around and find stainless liners relatively reasonable. When you consider the extra labor, I think you will be ahead of the game with stainless.

Also, consider that thicker pipe does not always mean it will last that much longer. In other words, if a .024 pipe would last 3 years, this does not mean that a .06 would last 7 years...

Lastly, I think Elk investigated a fire last year that was caused by premature failure of a steel pipe liner in a fireplace flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.