Lining a double wall flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usmc1371

Nov 8, 2015
Pilot Rock, Oregon
I am replacing my old zero clearance heatilator with an Englander 13-NCH and I have a question about lining the old ZC flue. The old flue is double wall and is in good shape (9.25" inside dia") so can I simply slide a new 6" SS liner down and connect to the double wall stove pipe at the ceiling? Do I need to insulate the SS liner?

Thanks

you really need to replace the whole thing the existing chimney is supported mainly by the fireplace and when you remove it you wont have adequate support. There also is generally no parts made to install the aircooled chimneys any way other that supported by the fireplace. Just take it all out and replace it with a new class a chimney no liner at all

Thanks for the reply I hadn't thought about what was actually holding the existing chimney pipe up. Any tips on removing the old heatilator and said chimney pipe?

Unless I am missing something it looks like the cost of replacing the existing old school double wall pipe with class A is about the same price as buying an SS liner kit. From the ceiling to the top of the chimney is only 7' so that's not all that much class A to buy, plus a ceiling box and adaptor to double wall and about 5 feet of double wall. I might have to add a foot to the triple wall to make sure I have enough flue length.

Status
Not open for further replies.