Lining concrete chimney, question for masons and contractors.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2008
Western Mass
Let's see if I can describe this adequately. My stove is installed in my basement. My chimney is 8x12 clay lined concrete block. My stove cannot sit directly in front of where the outlet is on the chimney, so the stove pipe comes out, makes an immediate right turn, 2ft horizontal run (angled down slightly), then straight down 2ft to stove. Drafted great in the middle of winter. Drafted awful when the outside temps started to rise above 40ish. I want to get rid of that horizontal run. My question is, if/when I reline my chimney (I plan to remove the clay liner), could I chisel out a corner of the concrete block so that I can turn the liner and have it come out already pointing to where the stove is. Would the chimney be structurally sound? I could even do this one block lower so as to not make a large gaping slot in one area. Has anyone done this before?

The chimney is internal, though right up against the inside of an exterior concrete basement wall.

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 210
Good question, os. Wonder what's stopping the stove from moving to the left about 3 feet?

I can see wanting to eliminate a 90 or two to improve draft. The liner should help, but before blasting out anything, if the stove absolutely has to remain there, I'd connect it with a 45 off the stove, diagonal up to the 90 (rotated to align with the connector).

Also wondering why the butterfly damper if the draft is marginal?

If I moved the stove 3ft to the left, there would be a paper thin gap between the stove and a wall on the side of the staircase. You can see main beam of the house on the upper left of the pic (covered in sheetrock). The stairs come down immediately on the other side of the beam. A 45° off the stove is what I'm going to do if I can't do anything else. Also, I wanted to get rid of the clay liner because I was thinking of putting in an 8" liner in case I get a Blazeking down the road.

I've never considered having a thimble exit a chimney at an angle like that. I have no idea how it would impact the structure of the chimney.

Using a 45 off the stove and eliminating the damper would be my first steps. I think that and a nice insulated round liner and it will probably draft better.

Great looking stove!

Do you want or need a King, the Princess uses a 6 inch I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.