Lining my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lwood

Dec 12, 2010
Northeast Wi.
I just bought a house that has a new chimney that runs from the bottom of the basement to above the roof. The liner runs from the top down to the living area. I would like to install a wood furnace in the basement. Since the liner doesn't reach down to the basement I would like to install a 6 inch 14 ga. steel casing rather than a SS liner. I would like to know the opinions of some of the more experienced people on this board is this something that can be done and work or should I wait til I have the money and go SS. All comments are appreciated. Thank you

Can you expound a bit on the proposed flue? Would this be a separate, exterior, exposed chimney going up the side of the house or is there room enough that this is being considered to run up the interior flue, alongside of the currently installed upstairs liner?

PS: A woodstove is an area heater. If the liner goes to the main floor why not put the stove there?

The steel casing is 6 inch OD round black pipe. I'm considering running it down the inside of the exiting chimney as it is 6 and one half inches inside diameter. The 14 ga. pipe is about 10 ga. thicker than liners that are sold for chimneys in my area. It's a furnace that I'm installing which will connect to the existing duct work to supply heat to the entire house, and it's less mess in the living area. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.