Lintel Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
Needed a little help. I have 29.5 inches from the hearth to the lintel. I need a few more inches to run the stove pipe for my new Progress Hybrid:). Am I OK to cut the lintel and the bottom two layers of brick? Do I need to shore up the brick above before I do this? Is installing the new lintel as simple as taking out a few inches of mortar, sliding the new lintel in and adding mortar back in? I plan on doing a stone veneer over the brick so the new lintel is simply structural. Aesthetics are not really important for this part.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The short legs would work for you.

I need the tall ones to make the clearances work with the hearth. Too bad I can't have the best of both worlds.

Well, I ripped out my hearth and am lowering it and making it deeper to accomodate the Progress. Mine's being built next week. So I feel your pain. Will be worth it in the end.

I wouldn't alter the lintel. What is the hearth problem with the short legs?

Is changing the lintel really that difficult? I really wanted that Ashpan but maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Is changing the lintel really that difficult? I really wanted that Ashpan but maybe it just wasn't meant to be.
Changing a lintel is a major job. It should definitely be the last resort.

Changing a lintel is a major job. It should definitely be the last resort.

The mortar between my bricks is so beat up that I can see that the lintel only extends 3 inches into the brick on either side for its support. Is that normal? It seems very short to me but I'm no mason. This short run might be why the middle of the lintel sags the better part of an inch. Does anyone who has any mason experience have any suggestions as to whether this is a DIY job or if I would need to hire a mason? Either way does anyone have any knowledge on the specific steps it takes to do this?

Thanks for help!

You should really read this, before you go basing a major decision on an ash pan.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ash-pans-yea-or-nay.101420/

I did read this and the feedback is very interesting. It's amazing how strong people's opinions are on a subject that has basically a 50/50 split. I'm a wood burning newbie so I'm very green but my gut tells me that I would like an ash pan. Raking coals into a bucket, running the hot bucket of coals outside, ash flying around in the air doesn't seem like a fun time however I guess you never know until you give it a go:)

The mortar between my bricks is so beat up that I can see that the lintel only extends 3 inches into the brick on either side for its support. Is that normal? It seems very short to me but I'm no mason. This short run might be why the middle of the lintel sags the better part of an inch. Does anyone who has any mason experience have any suggestions as to whether this is a DIY job or if I would need to hire a mason? Either way does anyone have any knowledge on the specific steps it takes to do this?

Thanks for help!
Your lintel shouldn't sag at all. I would have a mason look at it.

I did read this and the feedback is very interesting. It's amazing how strong people's opinions are on a subject that has basically a 50/50 split. I'm a wood burning newbie so I'm very green but my gut tells me that I would like an ash pan. Raking coals into a bucket, running the hot bucket of coals outside, ash flying around in the air doesn't seem like a fun time however I guess you never know until you give it a go:)

You just rake the coals to the side and shovel the ashes into a metal container with a cover so theres no ash flying anywhere. You shouldnt run with a hot bucket of coals ==c

Bring a mason in for a consult, at least. This lintel modification you're talking about is a big deal...maybe not even feasible. In any case, it ain't something you should mess with if you've no idea what you're getting into. The lintel is a critical load bearing member (think header) of the masonry structure. Maybe it can be raised in your case...or maybe not. I know it is not commonly done, by any means. Only a professional can make that determination, and then do the job properly if it'll work. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.