List of Recommended Chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I'd like to put together a comprehensive list of chainsaw models that you guys recommend. I sometimes see chainsaws at garage sales, and I'd like to know in advance which ones are best.

My top priority is safety. I want one with an inertial chain brake and low vibration. I'll be using it primarily to cut up downed trees around here, usually spruce, pine, or cypress.

Thanks,

Thats going to be one hard list per model per brand for garage sale shopping.

Stay with top name brands at garage sales and i would stay away from lower $$ brand models.

It always hard buying used from somebody you dont know and dont know how they take care of there tools.

I guess the best is to go with top brand names and great prices. Do you know what to look for in a used saw ? Do you know what size you want / need ? Do you know how to work on and repair chainsaws ?

There again i have seen lower name brand saws that are almost new for a good price and i have also seen the dog chit run out of top name brand saws selling for cheap.

Its always a gamble buying used power tools and motors.
"But i wish you luck to save a buck" as they say.

Yeah, it would be an exhaustive list. Anything from Stihl, Echo, Dolmar, Solo, Jonsered, or Husqvarna that has a chainbrake would be fine for your purposes. There are also lots of older saws which, though lacking in anti-vibe or chainbrakes, are popular and can fetch a buck on eBay.

Make sure that the price you pay is such that you can get some/most of your money back if you have to dump the saw for parts on eBay, or if you have to part it out if it proves to be a dud. If you have a sense of what you're looking at you can prevent a lot of mistakes. Simply pulling the muffler (or muffler cover) and taking a look at the piston will allow you to rule out (or substantially renegotiate the price on) saws needing a rebuild. Try holding the saw up by the starter rope; if it falls straight down, you've got a compression-less saw (or the compression release button has been pushed in...). Check the tank - is there gas in the tank, is gas new or old, or is the tank dry and caked with white powder?

Garage sales are OK sources of saws, but they're very unpredictable. You might have better luck checking with local dealers. Most I do business with regularly sell gently used saws for very fair prices. And every once in a while, you can even find a nifty unused old saw at a saw shop, too, like this Husqvarna 238se I just scored. It has never seen fuel, still had the tags on it, and it was covered with dust from sitting in the back of a shop since 1985...

Attachments

• Husqvarna_238se.jpg
    Husqvarna_238se.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 641
Nice score computeruser!
Is that an old Stihl 036 behind it???? (my favorite all-around saw).

I would agree with everything I've seen posted so far (lots of good points to consider).

"Garage sale" and "flea market" saws usually add up to one thing: trouble. Local saw shops are the best place to find used saws at good prices. Homeowners usually "hammer the snot" out of saws, don't take care of them,etc,etc...saw shop "finds" are usually "trade ins, leftovers, and 'no shows'(on repairs)". Buying used from a reputable shop is usually a 'safe buy'.

I'm partial to Stihl...even though husky,echo,dolmar make decent enough saws. (I also own a husky and an echo) but I like my 'trusty' Stihl 036. I like the 'old generation' Stihl...0-anything.
Something Stihl tried out for awhile I think is great for 'first time saw buyers' is the "Quick Stop" lineup. Great idea...just never caught on...(both hands have to be on the saw or the chain stops 'dead')...good idea to call around and ask the dealers if they have any of these 'dustbusters' for sale...$$$$ saving idea.

keyman512us said:
Nice score computeruser!
Is that an old Stihl 036 behind it???? (my favorite all-around saw).

I would agree with everything I've seen posted so far (lots of good points to consider).

"Garage sale" and "flea market" saws usually add up to one thing: trouble. Local saw shops are the best place to find used saws at good prices. Homeowners usually "hammer the snot" out of saws, don't take care of them,etc,etc...saw shop "finds" are usually "trade ins, leftovers, and 'no shows'(on repairs)". Buying used from a reputable shop is usually a 'safe buy'.

I'm partial to Stihl...even though husky,echo,dolmar make decent enough saws. (I also own a husky and an echo) but I like my 'trusty' Stihl 036. I like the 'old generation' Stihl...0-anything.
Something Stihl tried out for awhile I think is great for 'first time saw buyers' is the "Quick Stop" lineup. Great idea...just never caught on...(both hands have to be on the saw or the chain stops 'dead')...good idea to call around and ask the dealers if they have any of these 'dustbusters' for sale...$$$$ saving idea.

The saw in the background is an early small-pin (10mm) 044. I've been wanting to get an 036 for a while now. They're great all-around saws, but I'm not sure what role it would fill in my saw lineup that isn't already filled by other saws. Heck, I'm not even sure what purpose the 044 serves since my 7900 is my go-to saw 90% of the time anyway.

There are deals to be had on garage sale saws, but the odds are against it and you have to be good at being skeptical and objective. I think that you're right - if someone wants a saw that they can take home and run as-is, odds are a LOT better getting a trade-in, left-behind, or rebuilt saw from a dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.