List of Wood Stoves with Duct Kits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cak446

Apr 12, 2020
Saskatchewan
I'm looking to compile a list of stoves that have the ability to be hooked up to ducting, to help to evenly distribute heat throughout a home.
So far I've found the The J.A. Roby Ultimate 2015 with the VENTULT, kit, and the Heatflow S5 Forced air system, that according to manual the can be added to the SBI family of stoves such as the Drolet Austral III, Legend III & Myriad III, Osburn 3300, Century FW3200, and ENERZONE Solution 3.3.e

Can anyone add any other stoves with the capability to be hooked up to ducting?

I believe there are several fireplace inserts that have fan and ducting options, lets include as many of these stoves that we can as well.

I'm looking to replace the wood stove in my basement, and want to ensure I'm getting the best stove for my needs, before I spend the big bucks on a new stove.

Thanks!

Carl

Last edited:
I believe this fad has mostly died out, as people realized that routing mildly warm stove air thru a cold ducting system and air handler often creates more heat loss than the stove can manage. Is your ducting and air handler installed completely within the heated envelope of your home? Is there a reason you're not looking at wood furnaces, instead of stoves, if your interest is a ducted system?

Is your ducting and air handler installed completely within the heated envelope of your home? Is there a reason you're not looking at wood furnaces, instead of stoves, if your interest is a ducted system?
My current wood stove is in the basement, and there is no existing ducting. The stove has no problem keeping the main level warm, but I'd like to get more heat up to the second floor attic. I really only want to run one or two ducts, and not a whole house HVAC system. The ducts could be run within the heated envelope of the house, if necessary, but the more convenient way would have about 6' of the duct running through an unconditioned space. However, that part of the run could be insulated to minimize the heat loss.

Got it. That could work nicely, if you find a suitable stove. @begreen will be able to give better advice on models. In the past, many would just arrange a return in the ceiling above the stove, but fire code now dictates that there are fusable links in any such ductwork between floors.

What I've found is that, because the stove is going 24/7 (unlike heating which cycles on and off), the heat actually moves pretty well from floor to floor without the aid of any ductwork. My second floor is a little cooler than the first, and the third a few degrees cooler than the second, but we actually like it that way. With the stove going 24/7, natural convection currents establish within the house, which never have the chance to develop with a forced-air heating system. We also aren't trying to do 100% of our heating with the wood stoves, we let the boiler (hydronic baseboard) cycle here and there to level out the various zones within the house on programmed thermostats (eg. master bath gets warm at 5:30am for my morning shower, etc.).

I remember the stoves with ducted outputs, a few friends had them back in the 1990's, but I can't remember seeing many of them today. Again, @begreen is the guy who keeps better track of all the models on the market today, but you may be limiting your choices in making this your primary criteria.

Oops, I see that one was already on your list

A single six inch duct can really only heat 200 sq ft. And I have added two 6” ducts for the the bedrooms in the corners of my house. If moving lots of hot air is important would consider a wood furnace. A couple big floor grates could move lots of hot air.

There are not many options like this. To do a good job it may be better to get a purpose-designed wood furnace instead. Drolet makes wood furnaces too. Take a look at their Heat Commander. Another option would be a high efficiency Zero Clearance fireplace that has a gravity vents option. SBI's Valcourt brand is one to consider.

A single six inch duct can really only heat 200 sq ft. And I have added two 6” ducts for the the bedrooms in the corners of my house. If moving lots of hot air is important would consider a wood furnace. A couple big floor grates could move lots of hot air.
That's probably on a fossil fuel fired heater (tstat control) I bet the constant heat from a wood stove would do more than that through a single 6" (I think the stove I linked above can have up to 4 ducts?)

That's probably on a fossil fuel fired heater (tstat control) I bet the constant heat from a wood stove would do more than that through a single 6" (I think the stove I linked above can have up to 4 ducts?)
Good point.
Any more than 75 cfm is getting noticeable out the vent.
What average (over the whole time the blower is on) delta T would you guess on the ducts?

Good point.
Any more than 75 cfm is getting noticeable out the vent.
What average (over the whole time the blower is on) delta T would you guess on the ducts?
Hard to say since I'm not very familiar with this stove...and it would depend on how many ducts are used, speed of blower (if adjustable)
Discharge temp from the registers when my Kuuma furnace is running is often less than 100, and very low velocity (can hardly feel it with your hand next to the vent) but it runs all the time and the house stays a pretty even temp.
Not really a fair comparison though...

Reactions: EbS-P
I ended up deciding to run my old wood stove for a few more seasons, so I haven't replaced it yet. I never did look to hard at the insert style fireplaces, but there does seem to be a few options. Here's one of them. https://www.fireplacex.com/products/accessories/power-heat-duct-kit/
I did see that webpage and that product but I couldn’t figure out what insert brands and models actually were compatible to hook up that duct kit. It’s not extremely clear. I will have to email them.

Folks, these are Zero Clearance (ZC) fireplaces. The marketing misnomer of "insert" is incorrect and confusing.

Moved @Striped_zebra inquiry to a new thread.

Reactions: Ashful