Lists vs On-the-Fly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
As most here, i have a long list of stuff to do around the house/yard. But I'm curious, do you actually have a physical list you follow and check off as it gets done? Sometimes it seems that adhereing to a list only adds to the time it takes to get it done. I've done alot of project planning in my work, where such delay comes from the nature of constraints, dependencies and resources. Sometimes when I just start doing stuff as I come across them, I'm able to compensate for constraints with on-the-fly workarounds; conversely, even when I make a list and even materials list, I often need to make a trip or 2 the HDW store.

Is it better to play jazz here? Or does it matter either way?

I have a list, or I'd forget to do things. What I do from the list is quite "flexible", depends on weather, mood, time of day, phase of moon, etc…..
The list helps me prioritize things, and it's less stressful for me knowing that I don't have to try and remember a bunch of things to do - they're on paper.

It depends on how many things need to happen and if they are quick or long. If there are a lot of small ones for one day then I first list and then prioritize them. The biggest trap I want to avoid is starting up more projects before finishing others. Having 10 open jobs does not work well.

I have a list on my iphone. It never gets followed in the order I want but stuff generally gets done. Project finish time usually determines when it gets done. Sometimes between everything else I may have 20 minutes sometimes 2 hours . The longer ones usually get put off the longest just due to 24 hours in a day.

I make a list so I don't forget, then I forget where I put the list.

i dont list out my projects, but i do make lists once I decide to tackle the individual projects...materials, considerations, things i need refence on to make sure i can complete project the "right" way. I make sure that any project my wife picks requires some new tool. cuts down on projects she wants ;) and by default, increases the size of my project area so i can do more projects I want :)

If I didn't have a honey do list
I'd just site on the deck watch the
world go by and drink Beer

If I didn't have a honey do list
I'd just site on the deck watch the
world go by and drink Beer

You make that sound like a "bad" thing.

Reactions: semipro
You make that sound like a "bad" thing.

I had the same thought. Some porch time ought to be on your list whether it is written or not. Like breathing, it's a given.

Reactions: Jags
I really like the philosophy espoused by David Allen in his book "Getting things done".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getting_Things_Done
He maintains that if you track everything externally via list or other means, it frees your mind, relaxes you, makes you more productive.
The idea appealed to me so I bought the book, a rare type of purchase for me.
I keep meaning to read it but but it hasn't yet risen to the top of my internal priority list. ;)

Reactions: woodgeek
I find checking things off a list rewarding. There's something freeing about the list being whittled down.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.