Lithium air Battery with 500 Mile range

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
IBM is teaming up with 2 japanese firms to work on a new battery they claim is capable of allowing up to 500 miles of range for an electric car. This could be a game changer but its not happening fast.They claim if all goes well it still would be 10 years before you might see one on the road.(sounds like the hydrogen fuel cell car).

http://gm-volt.com/2012/04/23/ibm-w...tentially-world-changing-battery-500-project/

Sounds nice... check back in 10 years I suppose. Lots of exciting technology that might (or might not) be there in 10 years though... I'm glad that engineers are getting funding to chase down multiple possible solutions, just hard to get too excited about any one at this point.

Hydrogen fuel cells were just arround the corner...in 1958.
Ten years isn't so long to wait for a 500 mile battery.

Hydrogen fuel cells were just arround the corner...in 1958.
Ten years isn't so long to wait for a 500 mile battery.
THey claim the technology is proven, so i dont know why the long rollout unless they (IBM) want to pull a fast one and not disclose just how promising this tech really is to throw off competition.

THey claim the technology is proven, so i dont know why the long rollout unless they (IBM) want to pull a fast one and not disclose just how promising this tech really is to throw off competition.

"Proven" and "Market Ready" aren't exactly the same thing... may be many reasons that it can't be put into mass production for public use including economies of scale (simply too expensive to manufacture), stability and/or safety or environmental impact concerns.

Reactions: Dune

What Slow1 said. make a gram of the stuff and extrapolate the results to 500 miles. Now make 100 million pounds. Different operation altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.