Little BLT yesterday morning (Black Locust on Trailer)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Called on a CL free wood add for Black Locust. Found it in mostly huge rounds 50 yrds up hill in an unacessable area. Too bad, because they were two huge mature trees.
Spent a couple of hours taking the small stuff.

Attachments

• blt.JPG
    blt.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 154
That's where the quad comes in handy. ==c

Yes, bring up the saw, sledge, and some wedges... Once you split em in half or even quarter them they will be much lighter for sure. They need to be split anyway so you will be that much ahead of the game once on the trailer. More time in the field but a huge smile on your face driving home. :)

You have anyone that can help? Thats too good a scrounge to pass on.

I can't work for multiple days for $300 in wood. Its not worth it. I even considered bringing my tractor with a trailer, but there is an area the tractor can't negotiate. I understand all you sentiments.

Can you take a maul and saw into that area and get some more? Black locust usually splits fairly easy, and that stuff is like gold to a woodburner. Worth a try, IMO.

those are some nice rounds...i understand that some times you just have to leave behind some wood that is just too much to deal with

Can you take a maul and saw into that area and get some more? Black locust usually splits fairly easy, and that stuff is like gold to a woodburner. Worth a try, IMO.
I fully understand, BL is my favorite, and I am a wood burner. I can't kill myself for $300 in wood. Remember, even after its gotten out of her yard it then has to come to mine for stacking.
If someone else wants BL in Bernardsville NJ I can give you the address.

Uphill? That means bringing the wood downhill. Hum....

I fully understand, BL is my favorite, and I am a wood burner. I can't kill myself for $300 in wood. Remember, even after its gotten out of her yard it then has to come to mine for stacking.
I understand completely, bud. It sucks that you can't get the rest of it. Now, what's that address? I'm only 6 hours away, heck I'd drive that far for a heap of black locust! ::-);)

Reactions: scotvl
Gotta do what you can do.
I found a big, 24"+ , few limb nice birch, would make great firewood, but no way to get out of the wood & get in home.
Well a helicopter maybe. Now I have dreams about it. LOL :)

Maybe a snow machine this winter when the ground freezes;? :)

Reactions: ScotO
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
There is a point when it costs too much bring home "free" wood. When you are a few years ahead you can afford to pass from time to time. Or become a wood snob. ;)

do you know if this stuff is still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.