1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Little by little

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Lowtech, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Lowtech

Lowtech New Member

Loc:
    CT
    One of two loads I hauled home today. Good thing is the trees I'm cutting are only 4 miles away from me. Really need to find a good old used pick up or flat bed.

Attached Files:

• t12.jpg
      t12.jpg
      File size:
      319 KB
      Views:
    • t13.jpg
      t13.jpg
      File size:
      261.4 KB
      Views:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Trilifter7

Trilifter7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Now that is dedication there! If you have the room to store it maybe consider getting a trailer rather than another vehicle. I'd say the Subaru could handle a decent trailer load.
    midwestcoast, ScotO and Woody Stover like this.
  3. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I do the same thing with my 4Runner. Don't have anywhere to put a trailer for now, so I just load it up and make a few trips. Better than all those soccer moms driving SUVs that never really put em to real use.
  4. tigeroak

tigeroak Member

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    I would do the same thing to get wood if it was all I had. If you lived closer son you could use my trailer any time. Look around for a small trailer for your car/suv. Found mine for just about nothing[20.00] , put a treated floor in it , replaced light bulbs and rewired. It is 44inches wide and 6 foot long and I use it a lot.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My old Volvo wagon gets used the same way. I have nowhere to keep a trailer or extra vehicle, but the 940's eventual replacement may be more truck-like.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY

Maybe a folding trailer is a fit for you. They are less than $300 at HF.

I know some people who tow fairly heavy loads (~3000 lbs boats) with their Subaru, but they have to be careful about tongue weight staying below 250 or 300 lbs.
    Trilifter7 and ScotO like this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I have mucho respecto for a guy with the kind of dedication it takes to use a family car to haul firewood home.....
    Nice haul! I agree with the others in regards to getting a small trailer for now, to make do. You can watch for a used pick-up, but for now, get a small trailer......and scrounge to your heart's content!!
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's not dedication, it's a disease.
  9. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I wanna see the outside picture of the car.....bet she's squating
    ScotO likes this.
  10. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    my wife would NEVER let me usea family car....and I'd never use my wrangler either....i am lucky enough to have a truck. i agree, thats dedication....now that i think about it i used to bring it home in the grocery getter...an old plymouth lead sled.....drop down the seats and throw it in the back (different wife _g so long ago....). it was my first year back in stephentown in upstate n.y. and it was cold. i was running around looking for standing deadwood to burn in my barrell stove.

cass
  11. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    Well done. I've done the same in a Prius and tried to keep loads under 500lbs, only from here in town. No point killing the car to save a few bucks in wood. For bigger scores I borrowed a truck or rented one from the local Lowes. I now have access to a small pick-up so scrounging is easier.
    Agree on the small trailer option.
  12. CHeath

CHeath Member

Loc:
    Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
    Don't they make trucks up there? Lol. That looks like a nice Subaru.
  13. Lowtech

Lowtech New Member

Loc:
    CT
    The little Subaru is a great car, it's my daily ride(114+ miles on the clock) back and forth to work(48 miles each way) when it's to cold to commute by motorcycle. I left work at 10:40 PM in the snow storm a few weeks ago. Not another car on the road, the highways had been shut down. Made it all the way home till I got to my street where the snow was to deep, to make it down my street. The trip took me a little over 2 hours. I'd buy another Subaru in a heart beat.
    Swedishchef likes this.
  14. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    If Gov. Malloy gets rid of the car tax, I'd buy a beater for wood haulin....or keep my current for hauling wood, and buy a new truck for towing the camper.....or better yet, that Dodge Challenger I've been eye ballin':cool:
  15. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC