little guidance please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggere

Feb 1, 2011
Wilmington, NC
Hey I have three locations that I think I can put a pellet stove...please look at the pics and see if anything jumps out at you as to why I could not use one of them...

First location...outside corner of sunroom...no obstructions on the exterior as its an outside corner...power is within 5 feet but a new outlet might be needed closer...windows are only about 16" from inside corner on the green side and 12" on vanilla side...
2014-02-04133440_zps255e06ae.jpg

Second location...still in the sunroom but on the wall where it was added on to the original house...the other pic is a larger view of the area showing the oversized open entry leading into the kitchen/dining room...there is an outlet in the corner that could be used...
2014-02-04133457_zpse211d48e.jpg

2014-02-04133600_zpsc9caf169.jpg

Issue that might come up at the above location is if I try and run out the side wall...notice the overhanging soffit...it might could go through the roof but I just had the roof replaced and would have nightmares about cutting a hole in it...not real sure how much room is needed for a through wall exhaust so input would be great...
2014-02-04133524_zps4a1fdf08.jpg

Last and final option is the existing fireplace that has a slammer in it...we do not use it...chimney is not parged and would require a liner...damper still in chimney...this room has a single door at the opposite end...there was a return air vent installed in the room that ties into the house system so if we did put it in the fireplace we could turn the central air fan on and maybe move the heat to all the other rooms?
2014-02-04133652_zpsa0aca6ba.jpg

The open floor plan concept of the sunroom leads me to believe that it will be more efficient to locate it in that room...obviously a pad and wall protection would be needed as well but thats easy enough...and I think they left the brick on that wall as well so it could be opened up to use the existing brick wall...

Thanks in advance

cheapest option is to have a liner installed and use the Buck stove...problem is we are at the beach and hardwood is not easy to get...its mostly pine trees

Hey I have three locations that I think I can put a pellet stove...please look at the pics and see if anything jumps out at you as to why I could not use one of them...

First location...outside corner of sunroom...no obstructions on the exterior as its an outside corner...power is within 5 feet but a new outlet might be needed closer...windows are only about 16" from inside corner on the green side and 12" on vanilla side...
2014-02-04133440_zps255e06ae.jpg

You will need to be "X" inches/Feet from a window for exhaust and the overhang may also be a problem. Check the install manuals for your stove.

Second location...still in the sunroom but on the wall where it was added on to the original house...the other pic is a larger view of the area showing the oversized open entry leading into the kitchen/dining room...there is an outlet in the corner that could be used...
2014-02-04133457_zpse211d48e.jpg

2014-02-04133600_zpsc9caf169.jpg

Issue that might come up at the above location is if I try and run out the side wall...notice the overhanging soffit...it might could go through the roof but I just had the roof replaced and would have nightmares about cutting a hole in it...not real sure how much room is needed for a through wall exhaust so input would be great...
2014-02-04133524_zps4a1fdf08.jpg

Last and final option is the existing fireplace that has a slammer in it...we do not use it...chimney is not parged and would require a liner...damper still in chimney...this room has a single door at the opposite end...there was a return air vent installed in the room that ties into the house system so if we did put it in the fireplace we could turn the central air fan on and maybe move the heat to all the other rooms?
2014-02-04133652_zpsa0aca6ba.jpg

The open floor plan concept of the sunroom leads me to believe that it will be more efficient to locate it in that room...obviously a pad and wall protection would be needed as well but thats easy enough...and I think they left the brick on that wall as well so it could be opened up to use the existing brick wall...

Thanks in advance

In all those cases except the fireplace, I'd look very closely at the requirements for venting close to working windows.

You need about 48 inches from windows and doors to the exhaust. 12 or so if you go with an outside air kit. And at least 48 inches to combustibles from the tip of the exhaust. Your manual may have other numbers.

Many pellet stove manuals can be found on-line so you can check clearances from windows. Some, but not all, stoves have been tested with the OAK and will have a statement about reduced clearances when using the OAK but they vary by manufacturer and may vary between models. You might want to think about going through the ceiling and the new roof:(

The other factor would be heat flow. The inside corner where the sun room attaches to the existing house would not promote air movement into the main part of the house if you are planning on using it to supplement main heat source. If you are looking at supplementing main heating, an insert may be a better option.

Good luck and give us an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.