Little help please. Wood ID.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Hello everyone.

I had a local farmer stop by and asked me if i was interested in cleaning up some blowed down trees in his fields. I got some mulberry,ash and this one that im not sure of. I thought at first it was some slippery elm but after i split it i have my doubts. It split clean and easy not stringy and smells good.
2012-04-10_14-52-27_109.jpg2012-04-10_14-52-50_70.jpg2012-04-10_14-53-02_685.jpg2012-04-10_14-53-14_675.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Looks like cherry, but wait for some old pros to chime in. I'm not an old pro but I do think its cherry, not a super hot burner but its up there.

i'm pretty certain thats not cherry, but i'm no pro either

Sorry I can't help with the ID but that's some nice looking wood and you can't beat the price. You've gotta love having farmers for neighbors.

Yeah, looks Pig-nutty, bark and wood. Pignut smells really good, too...

Reactions: smokinj
You got all primo woods there. :cool:

Reactions: ScotO
Yep I'd say you got some hickory there. That's a real good mix you came up with.

Hickory 4sure

looks like walnut from here. If it's heavy, though, probably not.

The tree that took down the wires on my street back in the October storm looks a little like that. I'm curious what it is. I will be burning it no matter what it is an act of revenge for 5 days without power regardless of what it is.

I have a lot of Walnut on my property, and that looks like Walnut to me, but I've never split Hickory. Your nose should tell you which of the two it may be.

Thanks guys.
The picture is a little off on the color on the heartwood because its more red then purple which makes it look like walnut. I have a decent amount of walnut and im sure thats not what it is.
Jags, good idea and the smell does remind me of BBQ. This should be for winter of 13 and 14 so it should be ready by then i hope.

Another vote pignut.

HJ, that is great that you have a farmer asking if you want wood! Treat him well as he may be a future source of more wood. Show your gratitude with a nice gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.