Little help with id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bark looks like maple, red maybe? Wood looks kinda stringy though.

Take a match and smoke some of the stringy stuff on those splits. That will tell you if you have hickory (smells like a BBQ house).

Did you cut the tree off your own property?
Rebel you are gonna have to be the tree guy for down your way, you cut a lot of wood.
Mississippi is in an area where alot more species of trees are.
It looks like a hickory, does it have alternate twigs?
Leaves? Winter buds?

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Did you cut the tree off your own property?
Rebel you are gonna have to be the tree guy for down your way, you cut a lot of wood.
Mississippi is in an area where alot more species of trees are.
It looks like a hickory, does it have alternate twigs?
Leaves? Winter buds?

Yea mamn, cut it off my property. It got broken off about half way up due to a big red oak we fell. Didn't even look at the twigs or leaves. I kind of thought it may be pecan but wasn't sure, still ain't. Red hickory is possible too. Anyway, it's a hickory for sure. I'll try my best to be the southern tree guy! Need some help here and there though :)

Reactions: Applesister
I agree with some of the previous posters. That's a species of hickory. From my experience, it dries in 2 summers if you single stack it, but you probably could get that bone dry in 1. That's a lot of heat for Ole Miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebelduckman
I'm going with red hickory. Splits much better than pignut or mocker that I've cut. Thanks for all the input folks

I agree with some of the previous posters. That's a species of hickory. From my experience, it dries in 2 summers if you single stack it, but you probably could get that bone dry in 1. That's a lot of heat for Ole Miss.

Yes it is and when it's in the teens and low 20s in January I'll be prepared unlike a lot of others down here! Everything i cut this spring is dry due to the 100+ days of no rain and 90+ we had this summer. Drying wood was about the only positive from that stretch

Reactions: Oldman47
If it's Hickory, stack it out of sight and wrap it with a bow that says "Don't open till Xmas 2017". I have never had a wood that frustrated my patience and defied drying quite as well as that stuff. But once it dries, it really does its own thing, and it's a pretty neat thing.

Stack off the ground for sure, but I know you take good care of your stacks.

I don't see why that is hickory. I see the dark center, but the wide sapwood seems too wide for hickories I have cut. The main problem is that the bark doesn't look like hickory, at least not any hickory that grows in PA. On the other hand, both the dark center and the bark look perfect for Red Maple, which is common in the south. I am not familiar with Red Hickory.

Reactions: Jags
I am thinking hickory too.

What about sweetgum? I haven't cut a lot of it but what I have seen looks similar. Were there a bunch of spike balls on the ground around it?

I was about to post a new thread.
Is this the same?
So far the only stuff my splitter paused on.
Very stringy.

Attachments

• wood10.jpg
    wood10.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 96
Is this the same?
Nope - not the same. Notice the difference in heartwood to start with. I would suggest a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.