Little Puffs...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
I noticed here in the last 2 weeks my starting draft was getting rather weak. I hadn't seen this before. But it seemed everytime I started a fire, the smoke would try to roll out of the top lip of the stove. Which had me puzzled, but the intense cold held me off for investigation. Didn't notice any thing out of the major normal, just not as vibrate fires and secondarys. Till this morning. I decided to let the overnight fire be less than normal, so I could do a baffle and tubes cleaning. Well after getting all three tubes out and the baffle board. I notice what was probably my problem all along. My dampner had came loose from its rod and rotates freely. I remember seeing a thread about that here in the last month or so.

I got to pull the system apart in here in the next week, when i get my flue cleaner in. So I'll take it apart at that time. I got it stabilized and if I dont move the handle It shouldn't more. I went back outside to blow off the baffle board and the tubes. Put all back together, I then lit my fire. Day and night difference, inwhich it should be anyways.

Anyways, just another learning experience in the curve.

I don't think the puffs came from the damper. The chimney may not have been warm enough to maintain the draft.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Or the chimney is partially plugged.

that was original thought in the back of my mind. But after getting everything put back together. I started a fire and didnt have a issue, it started right up and drafted perfectly.

chevymn99, it would still be a good idea to check that chimney.

Yea, that's on my agenda when I get my sooteater here, this week or next. Then I can get my damper fix, while I'm at it....

Well, got the stove cold today. Took the stove pipe down and did some maintenance. Fixed the damper, it had rotated off it's catch. Then I cleaned the stove pipe, much easier than I had anticipated. Just a dirty job, but with enough trash bags it kept the cleanup to a minimal. So hopefully all is good til spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.