Little River Canyon, Alabama

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtall

Oct 30, 2009
West Georgia
On Sunday, I was on my way back home from hunting across the state line and decided to make a little detour by the Little River Canyon. Of course it was an absolutely beautiful day and I did not have my camera, so the blackberry had to do.

l_8c893b430d694402ac5e54182cdc1ea7.jpg

l_1163ccd9922148698f718a1a14651e0b.jpg

l_28645f48ec124365a4d6635f7053054f.jpg

That third pic, isn't that a parking lot (the rock out crop) where someone could be taking a picture of you ? :)
Been 35 years since I drove thru there. Must have stood in those exact spots.

Yep, there were a lot of people out that day. The first time I went up there was about 20 years ago, before the National Park Service started managing it. In that third pic, I was standing on what they used to call "Insurance Point," where the road makes a 90 degree turn. A lot of people used to "lose" their cars off of the cliff. One time in 94 I was up there and counted six cars at the bottom. I've been told that once a year the state would take a crane up there and pull the cars out, when it was still a state park.

bigtall said:
Yep, there were a lot of people out that day. The first time I went up there was about 20 years ago, before the National Park Service started managing it. In that third pic, I was standing on what they used to call "Insurance Point," where the road makes a 90 degree turn. A lot of people used to "lose" their cars off of the cliff. One time in 94 I was up there and counted six cars at the bottom. I've been told that once a year the state would take a crane up there and pull the cars out, when it was still a state park.

Nice pics !!

Gives new meaning to "Happy Anniversary, Baby, Got You On My Mind" %-P

That is just down the mountain from where I am now in the valley. The leaves were coming off a little before the rain but the remnants of Ida have taken quite a bit more off since then. The company I work for is the major employer in Menlo, GA, a little town on GA 48/AL 117 which crosses Lookout Mountain north of AL 35 where the canyon is located. Another similar area north of us is Cloudland Canyon state park, located off GA 136.

A thing of beauty. Thanks for the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.