Little Score - on my way home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
There's a small car park on my way home from work and someone keeps using it to dump rounds. I found a small score on my way home on Friday. It looked quite nice until i picked one up and it was sooooo light. I have never had a softwood before and this must be half the weight of my regular hard wood.

Split it on Sunday and it was a bugger to split with all the knots i have never had a more knotty wood. Some had 5 or 6 branches coming off. Kept them quite big as i assume it will burn quite quick when dry. Anybody know what it is? it smelt like Christmas so i assume its a pine.

CAM00073.jpgCAM00075.jpgCAM00076.jpgCAM00077.jpg

Reactions: certified106
Doesn't look like anything here in Alaska. LOL :)
Smells like pine, my guess is; pine ;)

Thick enough bark to make corks
Hard to split so tough to make kindling,
It's BTUs, make a good morning "take the chill off fire" & burn out quick.

If that was over here, I'd be thinking Scots Pine.

Don't reckon it's a native Aussie tree, certainly not a gum tree.......

It'll burn, but I'd almost be tempted to leave a note in the car park asking the other guy to dump hardwood next time...... ;)

this is my 4th score from this place the others have all been hardwood. I suppose take the rough with the smooth.

I don't separate my woods its a smorgasbord - this will add a little fun to burn time next year sometime.

Sure does look like pine. It's free and it's burn able so that's all that matter.

Looks like pine to me... maybe a white pine?

"It smelt like Christmas".....maybe it be a Yule log!

Status
Not open for further replies.