LL Bean storage rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how about a link to see it?

i have the same ones. i have two which i think i can bolt together if i want but i keep them seperate and put longer wood on one and shorter on the other. i use them in the garage going right inbetween our two cars in the winter to stack wood for easy access as needed. during the rest of the year they are stored in the shed. can't fault their build quality as they have held up very well and i even left them outside for a few months earlier this year i think. solid but not heavy.

i just don't remember where i got them. it was online and i think a discount hearth type site that had them on sale i think. search hard and i'm sure you can find them less.

Hi,

I like them but not for that price, I would probably get those stack-it metal connectors. Much cheaper and you use some 2x4s to complete. And those can be replaced if they wear out/break/etc. These metal ones get damaged by the wood and start rusting and that is it. Plus, if I had to buy those to store my 7 full cords of wood on, I would be bankrupt.

Thanks

Carpniels

I was driving through a nearby village the other day (looking at people's wood piles of course) and one of my daughter's friends had about 4 of these (same design structure) filled up on his front porch. Every one of them was leaning towards one side or the other. Not sure if they can be tightened up, or how long he has had his, but I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

I make my own wood racks using 2 x 4s spaced about 14" apart (on edge) with 2' lengths of 2 x 4 (or 2 x 6 - whatever I have around) screwed/nailed across ends for a base. I then just am careful about how I stack the splits on the ends, generally reversing the wood stacked on the end about every 3rd or 4th row. Sometimes I tie (with twine) the end log to a log a few feet in if I'm concerned about the end giving way - if the stack is near where people will be walking.

I wouldnt buy enough for my entire 10 cords, just one to put on the deck to hold a few days supply.
I wanted something that looks deceint, you dont put a piece of crap on the porch of $500k house.

this will suit your needs just fine. mine are very solid and don't lean at all. if you don't put it together tight i suppose it would lean. also the finish is nice and like i said showed no signs of rust after months out in the rain. if LL Bean decides to put their name on something its not junk but you may pay a premium for it. (not looking to start a 'how good is LL Bean stuff' war either)

just checked and northline express online sells the smaller one for $42 and the large for $58. no idea on shipping.

I didnt think fifty bucks was that much money, hell I spend almost that much every week on beer.
( And NO I didnt give up beer for a week to buy it )

i always check craigslist for firewood racks - you can really get some good deals :)

Stevebass4 said:
i always check craigslist for firewood racks - you can really get some good deals :)

Not when you live in the middle of almost nowhere, Its almost useless here. and if you do find something its usually close to 2 hours away. I prefer to have UPS or FedEx bring it to me

At that price I could buy 3 of these. Its only going to get used for 3-4 months a year on a covered porch! I dont think I need the brick #hit house of racks for this application. Its just for temp storage between the wood shed and the stove. Yes those are nice racks but more then what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.