Load 5 of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
THATS A TRUCK LOAD! :)

My comment about the speed of processing hardwoods versus softwoods relates mainly to the time to fell/buck/load the wood into a truck. Every time I've had hardwoods to process they've taken a lot longer because of all the smaller branches and such to work around. I'm not dissing hardwoods because I'll take them when I can find them, but I enjoy my western "softwoods" for ease of gathering.

Look at it this way: I can fill up a truck with a single tree on softwoods many times and I don't have to process small branches to do so. The logs I process are very straight and on a good day I can drive up the mountain, have a tree on the ground, bucked up and the truck full in about 3 hours.

smokinjay said:

You're not kidding. If I loaded my 1 ton (with helpers and E rated tires) with that much hardwood I'd find the frame rails resting on the axle tubes! :lol:

I love Douglas Fir. I used it for spray rails on my river skiff. But I bet 17.4 MBTU per cord is probably about right.

But what do I know.

consumerenergy

these guys have it well above 20... they seem to be generous to all woods.

WWPA

these guys say its not a fir at all.

raybonz said:
It may be OK but there is better..

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Ray

So what? The only "list" that really matters is a list of the fuel woods locally available to the burner, and that's pretty much completely dependent on what region of the country we're talking about. It makes no difference to me whatever that the BTU content of, for example, Black Locust is XX BTU/lb...because I'm never going to see any Black Locust. Or any hardwoods to speak of at all, for that matter. Rick

mecreature said:
I love Douglas Fir. I used it for spray rails on my river skiff. But I bet 17.4 MBTU per cord is probably about right.

But what do I know.

consumerenergy

these guys have it well above 20... they seem to be generous to all woods.

WWPA

these guys say its not a fir at all.

Red Fir is not a true fir, that is a fact. But the BTU content does vary pretty widely depending on how fast the wood has grown. Very tight grain trees will have higher btu content than fast grown ones with a wide grain pattern.

Badfish740 said:
smokinjay said:

You're not kidding. If I loaded my 1 ton (with helpers and E rated tires) with that much hardwood I'd find the frame rails resting on the axle tubes! :lol:

Gotta remember most of the trees I cut are already down to ~30% moisture because they are dead.

TMonter said:
Gotta remember most of the trees I cut are already down to ~30% moisture because they are dead.

That certainly helps. The other day I was hoofing pin oak rounds that came down during Irene, so they were drinking pretty well before that. Given the weight I think the moisture content was oh...175% ;)

TMonter said:
Badfish740 said:
smokinjay said:

Thats still an Awesome truck load.....Not knocking it just wish I could do it! ;-)

Badfish740 said:
TMonter said:

That certainly helps. The other day I was hoofing pin oak rounds that came down during Irene, so they were drinking pretty well before that. Given the weight I think the moisture content was oh...175% ;)

I don't like handling green wood, it's too damn heavy. I understand your pain.

fossil said:
raybonz said:

Ray

So what? The only "list" that really matters is a list of the fuel woods locally available to the burner, and that's pretty much completely dependent on what region of the country we're talking about. It makes no difference to me whatever that the BTU content of, for example, Black Locust is XX BTU/lb...because I'm never going to see any Black Locust. Or any hardwoods to speak of at all, for that matter. Rick

I didn't say that as an insult so please do not take it that way.. I meant only that there are heavier woods out there.. I don't care if people burn bamboo..

Ray

raybonz said:
I didn't say that as an insult so please do not take it that way.. I meant only that there are heavier woods out there.. I don't care if people burn bamboo..

Ray

At least Bamboo regenerates so fast. I only wish we had a decent tree that grew that much in one season. Like a Bamboo/Oak Hybrid... Or that new species of tree Osage Bamboo.

Shawn

TMonter said:
Badfish740 said:
TMonter said:

I don't like handling green wood, it's too damn heavy. I understand your pain.

I hear ya. Unless I'm cleaning up storm damage,working a rare CL scrounge or cutting for hire,85% of what I cut is standing dead or deadfall Red,Black,Bur & White Oak,with occasionally Shagbark/Mockernut Hickory,White/Red Elm,Mulberry,Black Cherry & Silver Maple added.That's all plenty heavy enough already.

shawneyboy said:
raybonz said:

Ray

At least Bamboo regenerates so fast. I only wish we had a decent tree that grew that much in one season. Like a Bamboo/Oak Hybrid... Or that new species of tree Osage Bamboo.

Shawn

You raise a good point there Shawn.. Maybe one day bamboo could be the future of heating due to it's rapid growth rate and ease of growing.. It's invasiveness could be a problem if left unchecked though.. Bamboo is also very strong for it's weight and it is being used as flooring material already..

Ray

raybonz said:
fossil said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Ray

No "insult" whatsoever, Ray. Why would anything related to firewood insult me? I had nothing to do with the distribution of wood species in North America. %-P You stated something that seems to me to be patently obvious...but irrelevant. I simply added a qualifier, that's all. The best firewood is whatever firewood is available to me. Doesn't matter what people have available to burn 2 or 3 thousand miles away. Or, in my case, even just ~3 hours away on the west side of the Cascades, where they have access to Oak and Madrone. Nobody finds it profitable to bring those hardwoods over the mountains to those of us in the central Oregon high desert...even though I'd pay a premium price for it. Rick

fossil said:
raybonz said:
fossil said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Ray

No "insult" whatsoever, Ray. Why would anything related to firewood insult me? I had nothing to do with the distribution of wood species in North America. %-P You stated something that seems to me to be patently obvious...but irrelevant. I simply added a qualifier, that's all. The best firewood is whatever firewood is available to me. Doesn't matter what people have available to burn 2 or 3 thousand miles away. Or, in my case, even just ~3 hours away on the west side of the Cascades, where they have access to Oak and Madrone. Nobody finds it profitable to bring those hardwoods over the mountains to those of us in the central Oregon high desert...even though I'd pay a premium price for it. Rick

I understand what you mean Rick in fact I'd like to try burning Doug Fir myself.. Does Doug Fir contain sap or is more like hardwood? I also agree the BTU content is decent and about the same as white birch and cherry to name a couple.. I pretty much burn most any wood but I prefer to use pine mixed in or for fire starting but if that was all there was you can be sure I'd be burning it.. Around here most of the pine is a lesser pine (white pine) and doesn't even compare to the good pines and is no match to Doug Fir according to the BTU chart..

Ray

Ray

raybonz said:
...Does Doug Fir contain sap or is more like hardwood?...

ALL trees contain sap, Ray. It's the trees' "blood". Maple, for example, is a hardwood, some species of which produce some pretty darned good firewood...the sap of the Maple tree also makes some pretty darned good syrup (usually Sugar Maple, Red Maple, or Black Maple...but others as well). Rick

fossil said:
raybonz said:
...Does Doug Fir contain sap or is more like hardwood?...

ALL trees contain sap, Ray. It's the trees' "blood". Maple, for example, is a hardwood, some species of which produce some pretty darned good firewood...the sap of the Maple tree also makes some pretty darned good syrup (usually Sugar Maple, Red Maple, or Black Maple...but others as well). Rick

I know what you mean maybe I should have said like pine contains or would that be pitch I am thinking of.. The lower part of my house is red pine logs and they still ooze sap after close to 25 years!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.