Load 6 c/w pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so I get a call from my father last week "hey if you want some free wood come up to the lake, guy across from me is taking out some trees and say you can have them all" So I decide to go have a look. It's about 1/2 hour drive each way (a little longer with the trailer loaded). Nice part is he (land owner) puts them on my trailer with his tractor and I can take them off with mine. They are all piled and ready to be loaded when I get there.

Here are some pics from load six. Anyone want to put an number on how many cords each load will yield? The trailer is 16' x 7.5' and we usually hang the trees over 2' (makes it easy to get the chain around at my end). Load one is blocked and split. Load 2 & 3 is blocked. Loads 4 -6 I will start on tomorrow. If I split and stack on pallets how long will poplar last?

Attachments

• backweb.jpg
    backweb.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 708
hit review post and then add another pic. it fools the BB code.

Nice score!

Cant beat that. I like the smell of poplar and the heat it produce when its DRY. In your cold dry climate and hot summers being SPLIT and off the ground , it should last many years. Ive got some 3yr and 4yr stuff. Nice and solid and ready to burn. Enjoy the warmth from that almost free softwood. Nice trailer by the way. AND ignore the wood snobs as Im sure they will be on their way. ;-)
N of 60

nice score!!

’berta Burner said:
so I get a call from my father last week "hey if you want some free wood come up to the lake, guy across from me is taking out some trees and say you can have them all" So I decide to go have a look. It's about 1/2 hour drive each way (a little longer with the trailer loaded). Nice part is he (land owner) puts them on my trailer with his tractor and I can take them off with mine. They are all piled and ready to be loaded when I get there.

Here are some pics from load six. Anyone want to put an number on how many cords each load will yield? The trailer is 16' x 7.5' and we usually hang the trees over 2' (makes it easy to get the chain around at my end). Load one is blocked and split. Load 2 & 3 is blocked. Loads 4 -6 I will start on tomorrow. If I split and stack on pallets how long will poplar last?

I'm guessing no more than 2 cords per load. But I'm so bad at guessing when they are in uncut log form.

my guess is about 1.4 per load

16' x 7.5' x 1.5' = 180'

Bubbavh said:
my guess is about 1.4 per load

16' x 7.5' x 1.5' = 180'

Alright! So my 'no more than 2 cords' was about right! I'm getting better at it.

Yeah that is about what I thinking 1.5 - 2 cords per load once it is c/s/s.

North, I don't worry too much about the "wood snobs", as I can have all the spruce and poplar (both softwoods) I want within minutes of home, this was just too easy to pass up. Plus I got to do some light "logging" with my dad (71). Which was nice too.

The reason I ask about how long this will last is I think prior to this score I was about 4 years ahead, I have been a busy boy this summer since I got off my crutches! Now with another 10 cords or so, I am about 6 years stocked. Will it last that long?

Plus I have a load of maple to get this week and I have not even touched the trees on my property that I marked last fall to be cut down!!

that truck and trailer are black BTW, to busy with firewood to wash them i guess. I just noticed how bad they look in the pics :down:

’berta Burner said:
Yeah that is about what I thinking 1.5 - 2 cords per load once it is c/s/s.

North, I don't worry too much about the "wood snobs", as I can have all the spruce and poplar (both softwoods) I want within minutes of home, this was just too easy to pass up. Plus I got to do some light "logging" with my dad (71). Which was nice too.

The reason I ask about how long this will last is I think prior to this score I was about 4 years ahead, I have been a busy boy this summer since I got off my crutches! Now with another 10 cords or so, I am about 6 years stocked. Will it last that long?

Plus I have a load of maple to get this week and I have not even touched the trees on my property that I marked last fall to be cut down!!

that truck and trailer are black BTW, to busy with firewood to wash them i guess. I just noticed how bad they look in the pics :down:

Couple of questions for you:

1. How did you end up on crutches?
2. How many cords is 4 years worth for you?
3. I hope the wood will last that long as I plan on doing the same.

Once I clear out my most recent 'find' I will have 17-23 cords of wood. I go through about 5-6 cords a year (estimate as this is the first year with two stoves). So I should be set for at least 4 years.

BBear:

1: fell off the second story of a house while putting up rafters - helping a friend out (i.e. NO Workers Comp) :-S Broke left femor
2: never really kept track, but trying to this year, my guess is about 4 cords per year. My wife & I both work so we are not really 24 / 7 burners but close.
3: I was just reading your thread - good score, but not a deal if you destroy your back - take your time a couple hours each day will get it done. A couple days (or weeks) either way will not make a difference to seasoning wood for 4 years from now.

’berta Burner said:
I was just reading your thread - good score, but not a deal if you destroy your back

Agreed. The problem I have is that I tend to look at anything and figure 'I should be able to lift that'. 99% of the time it works out. That 1%, though, can really bite you in the ass.

’berta Burner said:

I usually figure about a face per 20 8ft. logs of mixed diameter.
Looks to be about 2.25 cord, but just a WAG. YMMV

Dave

north of 60 said:
Cant beat that. I like the smell of poplar and the heat it produce when its DRY. In your cold dry climate and hot summers being SPLIT and off the ground , it should last many years. Ive got some 3yr and 4yr stuff. Nice and solid and ready to burn. Enjoy the warmth from that almost free softwood. Nice trailer by the way. AND ignore the wood snobs as Im sure they will be on their way. ;-)
N of 60

Covered and off the ground are key to it not rotting fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.