Load it up, burn all night....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it a true berm, or just a walkout basement?
I can see the insulating value of being a good portion under ground, with the insulation around it.
Kudos to you. 20's round here with this place calls for burning.
Well I guess its a true berm, we built the dirt up around it.
All the south glass makes it hard to heat when its real cold but working on getting some insulated curtains.

Yes 3cf, but that includes the baffle space too, so not true 3 for loading wood into.
So I guess in this weather, you ain't squeezing 24 hours out of a load? LOL
I guess you'll see some long burns in the shoulder seasons.

Anyone who claims 24hr burns in a princess in these temps are either full of crap, have well insulated house that is smaller than 2000sq ft or likes their house cold. That just my opinion though.

Last edited:
That's the next thing I'm gonna try. I put a lot more splits in last night than I have been, but it seems like I got about the same burn time with slightly lower temps. But I can't REALLY fill it E/W unless a lot is resting on the glass, which I don't want to do. So short N/S splits is my next experiment.

That will make my wife happy. She says that I don't spend enough time or thought on the stove. ;em (sarcasm face)

Smaller splits loaded N/S in the 13 burn really well.. And loading that stove E / W .......

As I sort through my firewood while stacking, I always toss the shorter splits into a "13" pile., and take the "too longs for either stove" and cut them in half, and burn them in both stoves, works for me.

If you're getting 90 minutes out of that puppy something is wrong. 4 - 6 Hours is normal burn time, with an hour or two of residual heat..

Last edited:
If you load it tight, with large & medium splits it won't go nuclear. Especially with the moisture content of the wood you have. You prolly will get a shatload of coals though. It is when you load a bunch or real dry small stuff with lots of air space between, that things get bright.

HogWildz--I am with BeerBelly and Cableman--seems like if I put more than 3-4 splits (5 inches-ish) on a lowish bed of still hot coals my pipe temp (single wall) flies up----a couple of times to 700 but makes me nervous because I hear crackling noises and that new stove cure smell (I assume is the top part of the pipe). But my splits usually have a lot of air plus a couple of small pieces underneath just to get flames restarted. I load N/S usually on a flat bed of coals. So are you saying that if I put in more splits but just pack them tight next to and top of each other it would be less likely to overfire than putting fewer that have more space between them? My T5 can definitely fit way more than I am putting in and with this cold spell I could probably use it.

My flue temp goes up no matter how I run the stove, big loads, small loads it don't matter, if I want a hot fire I am going to have a hot flue.

My flue temp goes up no matter how I run the stove, big loads, small loads it don't matter, if I want a hot fire I am going to have a hot flue.
OldSpark. Thanks for responding. I remember you posted that before somewhere and I meant to ask you about it.Your temps sound crazy. And I think you also have single wall? And is that internal or external temp? Do you think this is typical of PE's (I think my firebox is similar to yours). Do you get all that crackling and smell? How tall is your chimney?

I am thinking maybe I should get a stove top thermometer

Same here oldspark. But on the bright side the flue stays clean.

Every time I see one of your posts I am so happy that I don't have a flue thermometer. Never have. And the liners on the upstairs and the downstairs stoves have been there for for seven years. And they and the house have survived.

OldSpark. Thanks for responding. I remember you posted that before somewhere and I meant to ask you about it.Your temps sound crazy. And I think you also have single wall? Do you think this is typical of PE's (I think my firebox is similar to yours). Do you get all that crackling and smell? How tall is your chimney?
BG's PE seems to run with cooler flue temps if I remember correctly but many report high flue temps, its not just PE's either.
I have asked this question many times, how can you have low flue temps when the secondaries are firing and the flames are wrapping around the baffle only a short distance from the flue exit?

From a few nights ago the big rock is ready to roll.

IMG_20131212_244057_055~01.jpg

Every time I see one of your posts I am so happy that I don't have a flue thermometer. Never have. And the liners on the upstairs and the downstairs stoves have been there for for seven years. And they and the house have survived.
I pretty much let the stove do its thing but at about 650 (surface single wall I like to idle it down and then the stove plays catch up.
It may be just this type of stove but it would be nice to know if it is normal.

posting on my post--one more thing--I seem to be getting big whitle splotches, sort of discoloring, at the bottom 6 inches of the flue--what does this mean and is it connected with heat in the flue.
What brand of stove pipe, might be the paint, I do not have that.

Something I have noticed from some people's posts, I get secondaries very early in the burn cycle even with a cold stove, right around 300 or so and I am sure that is contributing to the high flue temps. Damn dry wood.:p

Reactions: Dairyman
From a few nights ago the big rock is ready to roll.

I have lusted to burn in a Manny for ten years. Damnit! That has to be one incredible wood stove.

I have lusted to burn in a Manny for ten years. Damnit! That has to be one incredible wood stove.

I'm impressed with the heat. The last 2 weeks were the coldest we've had with it. Ad it would keep the stove room hot with 2 full loads and a small one.

I would have one in my fireplace but with what that sucker weighs I would probably have it sitting demolished in the basement some night filled with burning wood. When the burn started on the floor above. !!!

Envy. Sometimes I wish I could load North -South like that.

BG's PE seems to run with cooler flue temps if I remember correctly but many report high flue temps, its not just PE's either.
I have asked this question many times, how can you have low flue temps when the secondaries are firing and the flames are wrapping around the baffle only a short distance from the flue exit?

I posted about this the other day, but I peeked through the vent in my fireplace above my insert and saw my flexliner glowing a little red after a re-load. Stove was just under 500 degrees at the time. When i cut the air half way down the liner quits glowing within minutes. I've since kept an eye on it and learned it will glow pretty much anytime i reload while building the stove temp back up. I suspect it is pretty easy to make a flex liner glow, and it probably happens to others here, but they have no way to see it. . I've tried cutting back the air sooner, but it caused problems reaching a good burn temp. I have a ton of draft, not sure if that could be part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.