Load load pricing...got a quote...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportbikerider78

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2014
Saratoga, NY
I got a lead on a local log load from a private logger. Is $40/ton for green logs a good deal?

If a full truck carries 18-20T, that puts me out a max of $800.

I did some research and green full cords of hardwoods are around 2.5T. That puts me at a full cord costing $100.

Seems pretty good if I can keep the log size to a manageable size.

For some frame of reference...a really good deal on split firewood would be $150-175.

Thoughts?

There was a similar question to yours a few months back. Log loads are generally $100/cord here in NY. If you're buying wood regardless, and can get split, semi-seasoned wood for $150, I think I'd go that route all day long.

If your up to the work $100 a cord for log load is standard, I can get cords for $160 split so I don't see the point myself but depends on what wood costs in your area.

I just bought an 8 cord triaxle load for $900. If I could get split hardwood delivered for $150 I would go that route and save myself the labor in cutting and splitting. Cut and split is about $250 a cord around here.

My question is who determines how much the load weighs?
Most loggers here drive from the job to the drop site and don't cross a scale.
I would figure a load being 7 or 8 cords. Tell them you'll do 100 a cord and don't try and buy it by the pound is my thought

I agree. The driver who delivered my load was asking about the "back way" to my house so he wouldn't have to cross a highway scale [emoji23]

If green cord by weight comes to $100/cord then its pretty standard and worth it if you are paying for wood and can do the labor. Little strange to be selling by weight as it is against regulations in most states.

This logger told me he would show me a weigh slip when he delivered the wood.

Nothing is ever 100% honest, but that is a good start.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm trying to figure out if buying split wood for 150-175/cord is worth the added labor to get a log load.

It might only save me $300 over 6-8 cord.

If you enjoy cutting and splitting for it's own sake, go for the log load. No way you're going to justify saving $300 unless your time is worth way less than $10/hour

I thought I would leave an update...after scrounging more on craigslist and getting some local quotes.....I found a guy that would deliver split 1 year old wood for $57/FC.

He is delivering 9 FC saturday. Hope it looks good!

Banana cords? 180$ if it takes three to make a cord.

$171 per cord actually, seems like an odd number but if the guy delivers not a bad deal. I'm not cutting this year either. Found 6 cords at $150 per. If I find free wood and I have some time I'll probably cut some, otherwise I have too much to do this year.

It is an odd number. $171 is certainly not even. :)

$55/FC and $10 delivery.

9 FC X $55 + $10 = $495/ 9FC = $56.11/FC with delivery

I rounded up. :)

It's never worth the time to cut and split your own, if your sole metric is dollars, but I consider the time outdoors running saws and the splitter good therapy. Certainly beats chasing a small spherical object around a golf course, but to each his own...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$500 for three cords bulk dumped delivery here.
That's $166.66. ( which is still roughly half the price of HHO )

$230 for singles.

Green hardwood mix- this is straight off the processor, up the conveyor belt and into the dump truck.
If the conveyor belt dumped it into a pile then that is the seasoned stuff. Plus it has to be dumped into the truck by a bucket loader so it costs more.

Plain oak is $285 - $300. ( seasoned in that huge pile of course )

Hardly anyone left selling wood right now.
Which may be why prices certainly haven't gone down.

Except for a couple of people trying to sell pine on pallets, for $115 or more each. One of these guys is selling premium pine slabs cut to stove length on pallets for the same price. Not quite 1/3 cord by volume. Crazy.

Last edited:
I consider the time outdoors running saws and the splitter good therapy. Certainly beats chasing a small spherical object around a golf course, but to each his own...

So true perhaps I'm crazy but I enjoy processing firewood.

I've got my own trees and have to maintain them and cut the dead trees down in the woods anyways so I've got to run the saw regardless. To me it's about exercise, being in the woods working, and the sense of accomplishment from having several cords stacked neatly. from the trees being dropped through the final step of stacked firewood it's nice to see the result of hard work.

But it doesn't cost me anything other than time and money for gas. If I could pay $100 for logs, or $150 for it to be cut and split, then perhaps I would feel differently and just cough up the extra $50 bucks for someone else to cut and split

I also enjoy it as much as you guys. It is just a time factor for me. And if you do have a critical failure on any of your equipment, it is costing you more, not less.

I think about it like this. It would likely cost me $3,000-4,000 to heat my home with oil. With wood,,$500-600. I'm doing pretty good. :)

I also enjoy it as much as you guys. It is just a time factor for me. And if you do have a critical failure on any of your equipment, it is costing you more, not less.

I think about it like this. It would likely cost me $3,000-4,000 to heat my home with oil. With wood,,$500-600. I'm doing pretty good. :)

Totally hear you on the time thing I understand

Wow $3 to $4k to heat with oil !! That's crazy I'd just get rid of the oil furnace all together. Why risk the puff back and oil smell. Put a few electric baseboard heaters in with separate thermostats for each room just as back up, shoulder season, quick heat to get the chill out and then burn wood for 95 percent of your heat.

Ya $4,000 in heating oil forget that. I'd put that oil furnace out to pasture

I'm likely to not be living in this house 10 years from now...so I have to think of what the next buyer would want...and it is not electric heat. :)
Totally agree...that is a great way to go for supplementing wood heat.

Reactions: Ashful
Wow $3 to $4k to heat with oil !! That's crazy I'd just get rid of the oil furnace all together. Why risk the puff back and oil smell. Put a few electric baseboard heaters in with separate thermostats for each room just as back up, shoulder season, quick heat to get the chill out and then burn wood for 95 percent of your heat.
Dunno what heating costs are in the Midwest, but I don't think $3k - $4k is out of line for Syracuse, NY. In fact, I'm surprised it's not higher.

Puff back? To what sort of antique oil furnace are you referring? I've never experienced this, excepting one occasion in 40 years, when I accidentally ran out of oil.

I've done the electric baseboard thing, in a prior house. They're not without their drawbacks, and definitely not cheaper than oil, around here.

It is not abnormal to burn 1000 gallons of fuel oil for a house my size. Previously we were paying $3.85/gallon..that adds up quick. Todays prices aren't the prices I do my math on. They are a blip.

3 cord. Couldn't be happier.

Attachments

• 20160514_130025.jpg
    20160514_130025.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.