Load of Ash-Updated with more pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08brute

Sep 30, 2009
South Dakota
A while back I posted a picture of a grove that was being tore out that I was interested in getting some wood from. The farmer hired a company to tear out the grove but he has stopped the tree removal due to lack of funding. Two trackhoe's worked on it for 40+ hours but only made it halfway. (Over $12,000) Now that they are out of there I moved in. I have been cutting ash tree's out of the grove and cutting them into 10' length's and hauling them home to be later processed (less than 1 mile). The trees are about 75' tall and very straight. I am hoping to get as many ash trees cut out of the grove as possible before further removal resumes. Here is a picture of some ash on our flatbed. (Some 24"+) We cant put any more than that on at a time due to weight restrictions. (Tires cant handle any more)

Have a great day!

UPDATE: I added pics of my wood hauler (77 dodge), the rack I built to avoid throwing wood through my back window, as well as the wood stack after I piled it on the ground.

Attachments

• Ash.jpg
    Ash.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 517
  • Pile.jpg
    Pile.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 334
  • Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 343
  • Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 352
That's cool, any of those logs good enough for the saw mill, may be make a little money on the deal. Where are you at in SD?

30 Miles North of Sioux Falls. (Southeast SD) I dont think there are too many saw mills around here. Although...A guy stopped by that grove when I was out there asking what was going to happen with all of the HUGE cottonwoods that are already stacked in piles ready to burn. He stated that his brother in law has a mill and was interested in any cottonwood he can get his hands on. Cant imagine it would be too cheap to transport 5' wide cottonwoods any distance.

Transportation is always a big expense but 5' wide cottonwood would be fun to saw into lumber and would yield a lot.

I had wondered how you came out with that grove of trees. You have a very nice haul there and it will give you a lot of heat.

By the way...the reason that rear headache rack is so large is so i could still fit my topper on the truck without removing the headache rack. The topper fits inside of the rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.