Load of Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
My buddy had a decent sized Cherry tree removed that was growing over his house(just bought the place recently) and a few other smaller trees, an ash and Ironwood. He's hanging on to the Ironwood still but I'm trying to get that away from him, I'd hate to see it torched in a fire pit! I told him I'd give him some split ash or oak in trade so we'll see how that goes.

Anyway it's not a huge load but will probably be near a 1/2 cord or more by the time it's processed. My old man and a buddy loaded it all for me since I'm still recovering from a recent back surgery. It's sure nice having people around that are willing to lend a hand when you need it. Heck my dad cut my grass first then went with me to pick up the wood, he's a keeper. :lol:

Only downside was I clipped a small stack of locust when I was backing the trailer in that needs to be re-stacked now! :blank:

Attachments

• P8270017.jpg
    P8270017.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 325
  • P8270018.jpg
    P8270018.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 323
It would be nice to score the Ironwood but you'll like the Cherry, nice score Rdust.

zap

Hey, where's the pic of the crashed stack?? Are you hoping that without a pic, it didn't happen? :lol:
Seriously, good score! I added to my Cherry stack today, which is now at about 1.3 cords. The first 5/6 cord was stacked almost a month ago, but this last tree seems less wet starting out. I'm hoping to burn some Cherry this season...if it can dry in time.

Your buddy needs some nice Pine for lively fire pit action, not that nasty slow-burning stuff! :cheese:

Nice load of wood rdust. A bit of rot in there too so good you got it. I hope there were no ants where the rot was as that can be nasty.

It too is really nice when Dad and buddies help out with this. No need to carry a whip. lol

Nice score and great that you have folks in your life that care enough to help with firewood.

Woody Stover said:
Hey, where's the pic of the crashed stack?? Are you hoping that without a pic, it didn't happen? :lol:
Seriously, good score! I added to my Cherry stack today, which is now at about 1.3 cords. The first 5/6 cord was stacked almost a month ago, but this last tree seems less wet starting out. I'm hoping to burn some Cherry this season...if it can dry in time.

Your buddy needs some nice Pine for lively fire pit action, not that nasty slow-burning stuff! :cheese:

Didn't even think about taking a picture of the stack since it was not even a 1/3 cord but trust me it happened! :lol:

It's my fault on him wanting the good wood. When he told me he was going to cut the trees down I explained to him the one tree was called "Ironwood" and it was at the top of the BTU list. I don't think he understands that it's not worth much outside and will be just a waste. I agree, pine fires are much more entertaining to watch!

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice load of wood rdust. A bit of rot in there too so good you got it. I hope there were no ants where the rot was as that can be nasty.

It too is really nice when Dad and buddies help out with this. No need to carry a whip. lol

The piece with the rot is the stump of the Ironwood, it had rot a couple feet up but the rest of it was solid. Also no ants, they may have moved out by now since it was cut about a month ago. The cheery is all solid though.

I had the whip but it wasn't needed, the free beer was enough motivation. :)

SolarAndWood said:
Nice score and great that you have folks in your life that care enough to help with firewood.

Yep, it sure is. My dad has always helped with it, he's usually my cutting buddy. He's 61 and I always tell him "don't worry old man I'll keep you young", of course there are days when he thinks I'm trying to kill him. :lol: I've been trying to get him to install and insert for years but he won't go for it. I tell him as much as he helps me we can cut enough to keep him supplied also. He's been retired for a few years now so managing burn times and such would be easy. I even offered up my Endeavor for free but wasn't interested in that either. I think it's my mom not wanting it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.