Load of Hedge (Osage)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Snagged this load this morning. This stuff is heavy....ended up sinking the trailer and had a hell of a time getting it out.

Attachments

• 2011-12-09_09-30-21_892.jpg
    2011-12-09_09-30-21_892.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 536
Loaded up:

Attachments

• 2011-12-09_10-27-05_652.jpg
    2011-12-09_10-27-05_652.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 509
Unloaded and waiting to be split:

Attachments

• 2011-12-09_10-36-30_257.jpg
    2011-12-09_10-36-30_257.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 499
And there's a lot more where that came from:

Attachments

• 2011-12-09_09-31-08_165.jpg
    2011-12-09_09-31-08_165.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 486
Wish I could get a delivery of that, looks great.

Good score Luk, that stuff sure has a yellowish tint to it. Never had the chance to get any osage YET!

Great load and score there.. Yes, that stuff weighs quite a bit.

Nice, weird looking wood

I've never burned OO in the stove before. We have an abundance here in OK but we use them for fence posts and stuff since they are free. I always heard about how dense it was and that it was impossible to split and assumed because it was so sappy that it would cause chimney issues and smell bad. Whats your take?

have never come across any in CT dont know if its out of its growing range up here in the northeast or what.

lukem said:
Unloaded and waiting to be split:

Nice work lukem, the color of the Hedge is cool.

zap

Lukem, I'm jealous! I've planted about 40 of them on my place . I doubt I'll enjoy them ,but I'm confident that someone will.

Great score!
Next year you'll need to let us know how well/long it burns. The rest of us can just dream :)
Primo BTUs there.
Good job!

Just did a little research on the species. Didn't realize it was native to such a small area. I see it in NJ occasionally. Would like to burn some.

nice score!

my goal is to get a load of that stuff someday. just can't find it near me.

bogydave said:
Great score!
Next year you'll need to let us know how well/long it burns. The rest of us can just dream :)
Primo BTUs there.
Good job!

Don't need to wait until next year, i have a bunch i cut last year...and access to more than i could burn in a lifetime a 1/4 mile from home.

I have a pre-epa blaze king king, and if i pack it full, fans on high, and dial set at 3.5 i will get about 16 hours of 550* plus stove top temps. That ain't bad.

Nice score. I have yet to burn any significant quanities of hedge but ive got about 5 cord of that stuff now. here is a few loads i got a couple weeks back on my 16'x7' trailer.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 311
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 302
  • aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 290
Looks like a combination of black locust and mulberry.

I would love to get me some o' dat "yaller trash wood." Someday...

Constrictor said:
Nice score. I have yet to burn any significant quanities of hedge but ive got about 5 cord of that stuff now. here is a few loads i got a couple weeks back on my 16'x7' trailer.

I bet your trailer was hatin' you about then. Thats quite a load, but some great BTU's. Just think in another month I'll be getting me some more hedge.

lukem said:

Now there some firewood!

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Now there some firewood!

That green hedge cuts like butter, the dead stuff cuts like steel.

Wow, that was a huge trailer load of hedge congrats on that score you'll be lovin it when the cold temps hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.