Load of logs on the way.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckDog

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2010
Eastern Ontario
My neighbour just let me know that he ordered us up a load of logs. We've done this before and it worked out well. We both process the wood into one pile then divide it up when we satck it. Not hard to do and fair.

Last load was a good mix of Maple, Beech, Ironwood with a smattering of Ash and White Birch. We did not get to it for the last couple years and both had to fend for ourselves. I still have 2.5-3 cord css that will get me through next season

Cost is $1100 for the load. Load is to be 6-7 cords. Base cost will be $160-$180 / cord. Probably seems expensive to some for 8' logs but our reality is $300 csd / cord. Almost no opprotunity to scrounge. Will post up some pictures when the load gets dropped off.

What is everyone else paying for a lload of logs?

That does seem awfully high. Are there pellet mills or big biomass/chip burners in your area driving the prices up?

image.jpg image.jpg $650 for this. Mostly oak

The running price for log loads in NY state is 80.00-100.00 per cord. Sometimes they will want a delivery fee over the log purchase.
6-7 cords would be acceptable at $650.00
Green split and delivered is 120.00-180.00/cord.
And occasionally you see ads for straight runs of seasoned oak for 300.00(newspaper)
These are professional log prices not CL ads.

We are paying $90 a cord for log lengths. They sell 10 or 20 cord loads. The last 10-cord load c/s/s at just shy of 9 cords which I think is good, all red oak.

I really don't understand why we are punished so severly when it comes to firewood. I guess the market supports the price. Still cheaper than oil or electric I suppose.

I really don't understand why we are punished so severly when it comes to firewood. I guess the market supports the price. Still cheaper than oil or electric I suppose.
After this winter prices have gone up around here too.

Duckdog- that would be extremely high around here. About twice as much. But were you are, if that is the going rate, "it is what it is". At least you seem to have a good plan to help keep the initial cost lower by buying/sharing with a neighbor. Maybe you can check around for different prices after you get a little reserve built up?

When I checked last fall it was $75.00 per cord for a 10 cord load of hardwood mostly oak with a little maple and ash maybe.

Been busy, It arrived.

It was unloaded at my neighbours house and divided into two piles. Wood was ok but had some questionable white birch and past prime ironwood. The guy gave us $100 off. Better than nothing. So $1000 for the load. ($500 each)

Here is a pick of my half. Hard to judge but I was thinking 3 cord if I was lucky. I was not really impressed.

20140530_091044.jpg

So I got it bucked (18"), split and finally stacked. Much to my surprise I have 3 piles 8'l x 54"w x 52"h. Which should equal 156cu' x 3 piles = 468cu' or 3.65 cord. The bonus is that I had to set up another couple pallets for the 1/3 of a cord of overflow! So really, I got 4 cord for $500 plus the cost of fuel in my saw and fuel in the neighbours splitter. Actually pretty happy now. Really glad it is for 2015/2016. A lot of red oak in the load.

Unfinished stacks. Boy not much help.....

20140608_181355.jpg

Cut, split, delivered is up to $330 per cord this year. My cost was around $135-$140 per cord. Gas and oil are at an all time high price. Demand for firewood is up.

Reactions: Soundchasm
DD nice stack job,give the little guy another couple of years to help!

If your neighbor isn't as sharp on wood ID, you can make up for the high price by grabbing the good stuff... ;)

Reactions: Andy S.
I bribe the loggers I know with Honeycrisp apples out of my orchard. A load like this that is well over two face and takes about 3-4 min. to load with the forwarder. They were .5 miles from my house, but now I have to drive about 6 miles for a load. Is this a good deal?

24mghle.jpg

122guid.jpg

Forwarder is in the background.

2ia6ete.jpg

I ended up not doing a log load but firewood prices are up for sure. A local logger raised their prices from $950 for a load last year to $1100 this year.

I ordered a couple more cord of cut and split because I realized I didn't have the time to process a grapple load this year. My price went up from $200/cord last year to $220 this year. All red oak and hickory though so I'm not complaining.

DD nice stack job,give the little guy another couple of years to help!
Guess I was a little hard on him, truth be told he did place at least 3 or 4 splits onto the pile!

If your neighbor isn't as sharp on wood ID, you can make up for the high price by grabbing the good stuff... ;)
Hahah, actually, my neighbour needs the wood for this year and he did swap out some his red oak of my white birch.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I bribe the loggers I know with Honeycrisp apples out of my orchard. A load like this that is well over two face and takes about 3-4 min. to load with the forwarder. They were .5 miles from my house, but now I have to drive about 6 miles for a load. Is this a good deal?

Guys around here are easily bribed....... $300-330 per cord cut split delivered or $1000-1200 per load in 8' lengths.......

Unfortunately I don't have any buddies in the industry anymore.

It's crazy. Used to be able to score wood from lot clearing operations and stuff like that. Even they know it's now worth $$ now.

Wow how much you got there Firewood bandit? I wish I had friends like yours!

I just sold 3 cord so there is about 17 left. There would have been a lot more but the snow got so deep in Jan-March I couldn't get in the woods.

The loggers are coming back later this summer to log a 200 acre parcel and an adjacent one. I have permission to cut on those too. However most of my wood has come directly off the log deck and was loaded by the log forwarder. When they are done I now have permission to use this with the blessing of the landowner however I won't need it for a couple years as there is so much left on the landings there is no reason to bother with the tops.

34e6mno.jpg

2lbhv6h.jpg

That's a nice little tractor, shouldn't have much trouble skidding with that I guess. That's very kind of the land owner to let you use it as well

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
@DuckDog How do you like your PE Super 27? That's what I'm getting for my new house. It says it takes 18" splits -- is that about right? I've never had a wood stove, do I use a log grate or just load it in? Any particular traits of the PES27 I should be aware of? Thanks for your input in advance! And being new to it all, I bought log stackers that you stick 2x4s in horizontally and vertically and then you have an elevated spot to stack on! Hopefully I won't experience any dreaded fall over.

Status
Not open for further replies.