Load of Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
A friend of mine has been saving some Sandy dropped Red Oak for me. He's a little further than I usually travel for my wood, but I wanted to help him out and he cut it to my length. After we loaded it up there was still half of the bed left. He took me down the street to a nice big Oak that he had secured permission to cut, either for firewood for me or lumber for him.
He cut three rounds for me.
IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0113.JPG
I didn't bring my splitting axe so he noodled them into manageable chunks so we could get them in the truck. I like to use the noodles to start my outside fires in the summer.
IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0116.JPG

The F250 gave a nice, smooth ride on the way home. This should just about finish up my '15/'16 wood, maybe even 16/17.
It sure is nice to have somebody to help lift the monsters onto the truck.

:eek: Holly smokes !
That there just looks like fun ;)
Nice load of some beautiful wood !

3 or 4 rounds = 1 cord

Truck seems to handle the load well,
headlights not pointing to the moon. LOL

I guess there's a little over 1/2 cord in the truck. 1/2 the load is 3 of those big rounds.

wowza - Nice score indeed!

That 036 was work 'in IT!

That's my buddy and his Husky. I don't remember what number it is, but its a 70cc with 25" bar. Has a little more oomph than the 036. He's young, single, and has lots of big toys.

That's my buddy and his Husky. I don't remember what number it is, but its a 70cc with 25" bar. Has a little more oomph than the 036. He's young, single, and has lots of big toys.

70cc it probably 372 a very nice saw!

Sounds about right. I can't remember the Husky numbers. I ran it a bit yesterday. It makes my 036 feel the same way my 036 made my 029 feel. 10 more cc is quite a jump.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ah, good ol' Red...I'm working on a 30" DBH score right now, myself. That one looks a mite bigger yet...

"...didn't bring my splitting ax..." What the...?? ;lol

Very nice lookn wood. Kinda hate to have to split it up heh? I've got about 7 cords of Red Oak around here. Gotta love it

Nice work Steve and it pays to have good friends too!

"...didn't bring my splitting ax..." What the...?? ;lol

I just drove down to pick up a load of already cut Red Oak. When we saw how much room was left in the truck, we grabbed his saw and went down the street for the big one.

Nice load of oak there. I wish I could score more oak than the little bit I have. Most of my wood is ash.

I split and stacked about half of it yesterday. Boy did those big, straight rounds split easily! I split them into slabs with my X27 and them broke the slabs into splits with my old Fiskars Pro Spltting axe with one hand! Gotta love green Red Oak.
I loaded my cart like this 4 times.
IMG_0123.JPG

looks like I'm gonna get just over 1/2 cord from this. I think that it will be just enough to fill my wood pile until next fall.
Before.
IMG_0122.JPG
After.
IMG_0124.JPG

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.