Load of Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried to cut stumps down below the soil line at various times over the years and always am reminded, the hard way, that there are lots of little stones and sand and other chain wreckers apparently embedded in stump wood. Even if you carefully dig everything out and clean the area to be cut, you're always going to ruin your chain pretty quick. The closer to the ground you cut any tree, the more grit your chain is going to encounter, if for no other reason that sand and other stuff splashes up against the trunk when it rains or the wind blows, and some of it is going to stick.

maybe its just me--but if I had oak and hickory and maple that bog aorund I would get someone to saw it up into dimensional lumber, not burn it.
sell 1/2 of it- and have enough money to buy split delivered wood and also a of great woodworking lumber...

Very little demand for hardwoods right now, not much building going on. Last year I logged part of my property and the only thing the loggers wanted was black walnut, they did not want red oak, white oak, or cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.