1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Load of Wood

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by scfa99, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I've tried to cut stumps down below the soil line at various times over the years and always am reminded, the hard way, that there are lots of little stones and sand and other chain wreckers apparently embedded in stump wood. Even if you carefully dig everything out and clean the area to be cut, you're always going to ruin your chain pretty quick. The closer to the ground you cut any tree, the more grit your chain is going to encounter, if for no other reason that sand and other stuff splashes up against the trunk when it rains or the wind blows, and some of it is going to stick.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jrousell

jrousell New Member

Loc:
    Adirondack Mtns. NY
    maybe its just me--but if I had oak and hickory and maple that bog aorund I would get someone to saw it up into dimensional lumber, not burn it.
    sell 1/2 of it- and have enough money to buy split delivered wood and also a of great woodworking lumber...
  3. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    Very little demand for hardwoods right now, not much building going on. Last year I logged part of my property and the only thing the loggers wanted was black walnut, they did not want red oak, white oak, or cherry.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.